Replacing Rat Fur - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Hi everyone. L and I are seeking our rolling dream home -- we've always dreamed modestly, I guess -- and are looking at used Scamp trailers. One question we have is, if we buy an older trailer and the rat fur is in bad shape, how difficult is it to replace the rat fur?

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
I removed the ensolite from my 73 Love Bug. I was able to pull some large pieces off but for the most part had to scrape the ensolite off bit by bit. It did take some time but I would only work on it a couple of hours at a time. I called Scamp and ordered the foil ray insulation, but have since found that you can get it much cheaper at Lowes or Home Depot. You can contact sales@boatcarpetbuys.com and they will send you samples of the 16 oz marine carpet. They have several colors to choose from. I haven't installed the carpet yet. I am going to use the 3M headliner spray adhesive. My ensolite was in bad shape, as was the rest of the trailer, so I had no choice about removing it. I found it was easier to remove the ensolite after removing all the benches, cabinet and closet due to the fact that the ensolite was put in place prior to the rivets being attached. The project is more time consuming than difficult. Would make a good winter project. Good luck on your search.-Lisa
Lisa Rynearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
lisa, i'm sure you know this, but make sure to wear a top of the line respirator and safety goggles when you use the spray adhesive.
gillian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Peter,

Rat fur holds up fairly well. In most cases all you have to do it vacuum it or wipe it off. Scamp sells it if you need to replace it.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Hi Peter, Dee and I replaced some old moldy rotten auto headliner stuff in our Bigfoot with "monkey fur" from Scamp using their glue. We rolled the glue on using a small 1" by 4" trim roller. It worked great then we threw the roller out. Seem to recall I ordered 16 yds. We didn't remove the cabinets however. It went in in five pieces only two seams exposed. Keith
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote