Replacing Snap Bottoms - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Replacing Snap Bottoms

12/12 FBAs or 12/12 FBs? What snapcap bottoms do I order to replace my disintegrating snap caps? I tried just replacing the top caps, tapping with a hammer (not too successful), but perhaps I should replace the bottom caps? I have Pro-Dec 12/12 snap cap tops...what size bottoms should I order?

I'm a bit squeamish to take out a screw or bolt, not sure if something would fall off inside. My trailer is in storage in another town and I wish to work on it in the Spring.

Suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
there is also a clip that goes under for the snapcap to hook too. you will need both I would call scamp

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
12/12 FBAs or 12/12 FBs? What snapcap bottoms do I order to replace my disintegrating snap caps? I tried just replacing the top caps, tapping with a hammer (not too successful), but perhaps I should replace the bottom caps? I have Pro-Dec 12/12 snap cap tops...what size bottoms should I order?
:
FBA has a 5/32" center hole and that's whats used on Casita trailers that are held on with 5/32" pop rivets that are a nice snug fit in the holes of the bases.
FB 3/32" are definitely too small.

You should be able to push the caps on with your thumb or at the most the butt end of a screw driver.
Put a SMALL dab of your favorite sealer between the hole.

What you need to be concerned with the length of POP rivets you will need for your Scamp, most likely there will be several lengths used.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
when repairing

joe when these clips give out I cut the rivet out and go with a s/s screw with the new clip and the acorn nut back on the inside.

when I bought stevie she had several missing and some loose so I went that route. I had to find the clips owner left me plenty of the caps no clips!

here is something interesting in taking the door handle I noticed rust on the screws scamp had put that handle on with no sealant behind the handle.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post

I'm a bit squeamish to take out a screw or bolt, not sure if something would fall off inside. My trailer is in storage in another town and I wish to work on it in the Spring.

Suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.
Hi, Marilyn! Replacing the snap cap bottoms does mean redoing the rivet that holds it on.

It's not that hard to do - we put it off for years on our Casita and then fixed them all before we sold it a couple of years ago. It was so easy, we wondered why we waited!

I do recommend you get someone to help you with any rivets that have a finishing nut on the inside of the trailer.

You will need a rivet gun (they're not expensive) and the correct length rivets. I recommend you order the rivets and snap cap bottoms from Scamp, so you will be sure to get the correct length and size.

Here's an old thread with how to info. Easiest Way to Replace Rivets.

Good luck with it!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
There is an easier way

Your rivets are most likely fine. The purpose of the snap caps was to preclude leakage and to present a more pleasing appearance. There is a good chance there would be no leakage if you just didn't replace the missing or rotted snap caps. Years of exposure to the sunlight and elements have dried and ruined the snap cap material. You can remove and replace the rivets and associated snap caps and bases but I learned a much easier way. My Casita is a '96 and all my snap caps are new and in place and have no leaks.

When I noticed a couple of missing caps and noted that others were dried out and ready to fall off I didn't really want to replace all those rivets and deal with all the possible interior damage that can happen.

I removed the snap cap bases with a knife. I then thoroughly cleaned the area around the rivet head with acetone. I bought some Loctite gel type superglue carried by Home Depot. With the superglue gel one can carefully apply a very small amount around the base of the new snap cap and apply it directly to the fiberglass. Within a few minutes it is there to stay. All the caps I have replaced using this method are all still there five or six years later.

Doninut
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
I called Scamp first and the snap cap sets they sent me were the wrong size. So no help there.I assume they changed sizes in the years after 2005???

What are clips?

Don - you removed the old snap cap bottoms, and glued the snap cap tops on without replacing the bottom caps?
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Yes, I removed what remained of the bottom part and then cleaned the area around the head of the rivet and super-glued the top caps directly to the fiberglass covering the rivet head. It has worked fine for me. If, and when, the new caps rot I will remove them, scrape and clean the fiberglass and replace the old cap with a new one. Seems so MUCH more simple and quick.
Don
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote