Replacing snap caps on Scamp - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 45
Hi everyone and thanks for all the great advice I have received on prior questions.
Here is another one: I ordered replacement caps and can't figure out how they go on. Most of mine are crack or gone so I figure I could just pop these little buggers on but no way. Did I forget to order something? I sure hope not as Scamp sends product out UPS and boy is that expensive.... snap caps cost $9.00+ and shipment was in the same price range and I swear that the pkg. didn't weigh more then a couple of oz.
Love the forum.
__________________

__________________
karen lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Sandra Lair's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 379
Karen,
I've replaced most of mine & they do snap on easily unless the little clear plastic thing underneath is missing. Maybe the ones you're trying to replace have lost that under piece. Have you tried several different spots to see if they're all the same? My snap caps came in two different sizes. The larger ones are the only ones I can use.
Sandra
__________________

__________________
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Posts: 1,556
Here is another source http://www.pro-dec.com/ and they have free shipping. You have a base and a cap. If you waited to long to replace the cap the base may be deteriorated. If that is the case you will have to remove the fastner and reinstall the fastner with a new plastic base, then you can replace the cap.
Eddie
__________________
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Member
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 45
Quote:
Here is another source http://www.pro-dec.com/ and they have free shipping. You have a base and a cap. If you waited to long to replace the cap the base may be deteriorated. If that is the case you will have to remove the fastner and reinstall the fastner with a new plastic base, then you can replace the cap.
Eddie

Thanks so much for the site..... love free shipping.
__________________
karen lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Member
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 45
Quote:
Karen,
I've replaced most of mine & they do snap on easily unless the little clear plastic thing underneath is missing. Maybe the ones you're trying to replace have lost that under piece. Have you tried several different spots to see if they're all the same? My snap caps came in two different sizes. The larger ones are the only ones I can use.
Sandra


Thanks
__________________
karen lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Hi everyone and thanks for all the great advice I have received on prior questions.
Here is another one: I ordered replacement caps and can't figure out how they go on. Most of mine are crack or gone so I figure I could just pop these little buggers on but no way. Did I forget to order something? I sure hope not as Scamp sends product out UPS and boy is that expensive.... snap caps cost $9.00+ and shipment was in the same price range and I swear that the pkg. didn't weigh more then a couple of oz.
Love the forum.
We replace ours about every three years to prevent deterioration of the base.
But I have seen lots of Scamps that needed caps and one common thing to see is a cap which appears to be gone but really has left a ring around the base which must be removed before replacing the cap, so look closely.
If you have a custom interior the bases are nearly all held with screws and not rivets
which makes replacement easier, but an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure!
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bill MacDermod's Avatar
 
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Posts: 611
You can make these last a lot longer if you paint them with the plastic spray paint before putting them on. the trick is to be able to keep them from blowing away while painting and this can be done with double sided tape. I don't mind replacing them as it gives me a chance to wriggle and replace any loose rivets before putting the new caps on. This company sends so many of them, (like a thousand) for so cheap I usually carry them with me to the rallies and give them away to anyone who needs them.

http://www.pro-dec.com/.
__________________
Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Member
 
Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 2000
Nebraska
Posts: 43
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
Karen, I have replaced the caps on my Scamp 16, where there are no longer the white tabs underneath, using clear silicone adhesive sealant. I put a little on top of the rivet and fill the cap with and then press the cap on. You can wipe off the excess sealant after it dries. The brand I use is Permatex clear rtv silicone adhesive sealant. Good Luck.
Ron
__________________

__________________
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snap Caps: to cover rivets bbuehler Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 4 12-04-2009 08:10 PM
FREE snap caps Christine P Classified Archives 2 06-16-2009 09:43 AM
snap caps info needed Ricky 4 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 02-07-2009 11:11 AM
Snap caps and fridge control access Bob Smucker Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 3 10-17-2006 04:17 PM
How to replace snap caps? Scott Bacon Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 17 06-05-2006 09:23 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.