Replacing snap caps on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Hi everyone and thanks for all the great advice I have received on prior questions.
Here is another one: I ordered replacement caps and can't figure out how they go on. Most of mine are crack or gone so I figure I could just pop these little buggers on but no way. Did I forget to order something? I sure hope not as Scamp sends product out UPS and boy is that expensive.... snap caps cost $9.00+ and shipment was in the same price range and I swear that the pkg. didn't weigh more then a couple of oz.
Love the forum.
karen lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Karen,
I've replaced most of mine & they do snap on easily unless the little clear plastic thing underneath is missing. Maybe the ones you're trying to replace have lost that under piece. Have you tried several different spots to see if they're all the same? My snap caps came in two different sizes. The larger ones are the only ones I can use.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Here is another source http://www.pro-dec.com/ and they have free shipping. You have a base and a cap. If you waited to long to replace the cap the base may be deteriorated. If that is the case you will have to remove the fastner and reinstall the fastner with a new plastic base, then you can replace the cap.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Here is another source http://www.pro-dec.com/ and they have free shipping. You have a base and a cap. If you waited to long to replace the cap the base may be deteriorated. If that is the case you will have to remove the fastner and reinstall the fastner with a new plastic base, then you can replace the cap.
Eddie

Thanks so much for the site..... love free shipping.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Karen,
I've replaced most of mine & they do snap on easily unless the little clear plastic thing underneath is missing. Maybe the ones you're trying to replace have lost that under piece. Have you tried several different spots to see if they're all the same? My snap caps came in two different sizes. The larger ones are the only ones I can use.
Sandra

Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Hi everyone and thanks for all the great advice I have received on prior questions.
Here is another one: I ordered replacement caps and can't figure out how they go on. Most of mine are crack or gone so I figure I could just pop these little buggers on but no way. Did I forget to order something? I sure hope not as Scamp sends product out UPS and boy is that expensive.... snap caps cost $9.00+ and shipment was in the same price range and I swear that the pkg. didn't weigh more then a couple of oz.
Love the forum.
We replace ours about every three years to prevent deterioration of the base.
But I have seen lots of Scamps that needed caps and one common thing to see is a cap which appears to be gone but really has left a ring around the base which must be removed before replacing the cap, so look closely.
If you have a custom interior the bases are nearly all held with screws and not rivets
which makes replacement easier, but an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
You can make these last a lot longer if you paint them with the plastic spray paint before putting them on. the trick is to be able to keep them from blowing away while painting and this can be done with double sided tape. I don't mind replacing them as it gives me a chance to wriggle and replace any loose rivets before putting the new caps on. This company sends so many of them, (like a thousand) for so cheap I usually carry them with me to the rallies and give them away to anyone who needs them.

http://www.pro-dec.com/.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1996
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
Karen, I have replaced the caps on my Scamp 16, where there are no longer the white tabs underneath, using clear silicone adhesive sealant. I put a little on top of the rivet and fill the cap with and then press the cap on. You can wipe off the excess sealant after it dries. The brand I use is Permatex clear rtv silicone adhesive sealant. Good Luck.
Ron
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp