Replacing the Roof Vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
The Scamp almost lost it. I was having the axle replaced-#9 Torflex-$300 plus they welded a crack in the frame for me. But then a BIG hail storm-softball size! came and took out the roof vent but did not destroy the Scamp. It twanged the gel coat on the roof a bit. The insurance guy figures my Scamp is totalled. I am curious as to what it is worth in $ as opposed to its worth to me.
So now I need to find a new roof vent- I believe the size is 15" X 22". Any advice is appreciated as to how to install and where to find it
thanks
murf
DanMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/roof...cessories.html
http://rvpartsoutlet.com/product_info.php?...802f13157170a25
http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts/produ...mp;bestseller=Y
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Scamp sent me the complete unit-frame, screen, crank opener etc. for apprprox. $75 plus shipping.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
... a BIG hail storm-softball size! came and took out the roof vent but did not destroy the Scamp. It twanged the gel coat on the roof a bit. The insurance guy figures my Scamp is totalled. I am curious as to what it is worth in $ as opposed to its worth to me. ...
Good luck in getting it resolved. I hope you post on how it turns out with the insurance company.

I've had to deal with a couple of claims through no fault of mine but because of the age of the vehicle the insurance wanted to write it off both times. I was able to increase their valuation and settle for less than the amount that would total the car and so keep it and have it repaired.

What happens with a travel trailer? If it's written off and you keep it does it get a salvage title?

Please let us know how it turns out.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dan your profile doesn't state the year of your trailer. If you need some documentation, check out the For Sale forums including the Referrals. That should help give you and your insurance company an idea what trailers of the same vintage are selling for.

That's one of the reasons we keep them in the archive. Be sure to View ALL... I think the default is set to view only the last 30 days.

And yes, keep us informed.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The insurance guy wants to total it because he can't value it properly. Get some estimates for fixing gelcoat. Easiest thing to do is replace entire hatch and cover. Otherwise you have to transfer all the glued-on hardware from the old cover to the new (if you replace entire thing, keep old hardware just in case).

If totalled, I'm sure they won't give you enough to replace it with a similar new one.

This is a fair example of why I self-insure on the things I can afford to replace without changing my lifestyle.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi,

Not sure just how much of your vent was destroyed, but if it was just the plastic lid, I picked up a perfect fit for my cracked Boler cover at Camping World, on sale for about $l5.

All I had to do was undo/unscrew bolts and screws, slip out the raising mechanism, slip off the cover sideways, then reverse the process with the replacement.

Hope yours fixes just as easily.

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Scamps and Bolers have a lot of similarity, but the roof vent isn't.

Boler uses the standard square roof vent; Scamp uses a larger rectangular roof vent that also functions as an escape hatch. Hard to find.

Scamp has them for about $35 last I looked, but hardware has to be removed from the old one and installed and sealed on the new one, before placement.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
The insurance guy wants to total it because he can't value it properly. Get some estimates for fixing gelcoat. Easiest thing to do is replace entire hatch and cover. Otherwise you have to transfer all the glued-on hardware from the old cover to the new (if you replace entire thing, keep old hardware just in case).

If totalled, I'm sure they won't give you enough to replace it with a similar new one.

This is a fair example of why I self-insure on the things I can afford to replace without changing my lifestyle.
The people at Scamp have the best deal I was able to find- $75+shipping. Of course, they are out of stock. The tarp stays on a little longer.
DanMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote