Resin stains - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-23-2003, 01:56 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by Nancy Wolf
Barkeeper's Friend
Nancy, is that Sambuca or Drambuie? ;) I don't spill that on sap, I prefer to drink it. ;)
:ola

Old 04-23-2003, 03:58 PM   #16

Okay... we need a little smily face that is sticking out it's tongue. Lex... Pppppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttt!

;)

Nancy

Old 04-29-2003, 06:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Orginally posted by Lex Meuldijk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

Okay, Lex, I have to ask: How can dead trees have sap? Are they kind of dying or on their way to being dead? Is that the deal?
First about 'deal': my dictionary says that's the English word for what we call 'vurehout'.
Now I am going to speculate. 'Vurehout' is timber from fir trees (picea abies). The English word for the Dutch word 'vuur' is 'fire'. So perhaps 'vurehout' is originating from 'fir wood'????
'Vurehout' keeps bleeding resin for a long time, even if it is supposed to be dead.[/quote]

Lex,

I'm speculating that vuurhout refers to the fuel wood characteristics of the knots of conifers (pine, fir, cypress, etc.). When the tree dies, the sap concentrates in the knots. One can use those knots as fuel wood. The knots (or knees) light readily even when wet and they burn very hot. It makes a smoky fire.

If you camp in a pine or fir forest, find fallen trees and knock off the knots where the limbs once joined the trunk. If the knots don't come off readily, it's not ready for burning.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:32 AM   #18

Leave it to Morgan...

to get us on the right track.

According to Webster's Dictionary of the English Language (which translates English words to English speaking people like me who don't know their own language very well), the definition of deal (the noun, not the verb) is: 1. a board or plank, esp. of fir or pine, 2. such boards collectively, 3. fir or pine wood.

So, there you go. My definition belonged in the jokes section under 'Texas Definitions.' Learn something everyday.

Sorry, Lex.....Thanks, Morgan
Old 04-30-2003, 06:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

to get us on the right track.

According to Webster's Dictionary of the English Language (which translates English words to English speaking people like me who don't know their own language very well), the definition of deal (the noun, not the verb) is: 1. a board or plank, esp. of fir or pine, 2. such boards collectively, 3. fir or pine wood.

So, there you go. My definition belonged in the jokes section under 'Texas Definitions.' Learn something everyday.

Sorry, Lex.....Thanks, Morgan
Oh, you're good, Suz.

My speculation was about vuurhout, not deal. I sure didn't know of that meaning for deal. It took our lowlander friend, Lex, to show us. :colors