Restoring a 1984 Bigfoot truck camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It sounds like current policy is if it has two license plates, one for the truck the other for the camper, that it's Okey-Dokey as a moldy fiberglass slide-on(?) camper? LOL

Old 09-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Ooops, But you do know that Scamp did build a few Class "C" mini-motorhomes

Old 09-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Thank you Frederick. This nit has been picked clean and life do get tedious as a result of . . . . A bit of collegiality never hurts as we are all seekers of info and assistance. Even these fellers with the rigs that don't bend in the middle know a couple of things. So long as it's patching glass, trouble shooting rv equipment, comparing camping experiences, what's the diff? And I've never understood the difference between milage and performance from one ICE to another based on whether it's part of the barge or part of the pushboat. And, as all observe when it's convenient to THEIR purpose, anything goes in Chat. Jack
Old 09-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #18

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I agree with Jack's statement wholeheartedly.

IMO, This Bigfoot is still a 'molded' unit with similar repair methodology. As such, many of the 'Molded Towable' owners will likely be able to help out with tips and techniques. And we might also learn something new too.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the resto project.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #19

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Fixing the fiberglass will be easy enough and can be done from one or both sides. Be sure the jack points are strong and secure. You do not want this to ever fall off the jacks. I recommend building some sort of stand to support it when storing it off the truck.

The front windows are a potential problem area. Bigfoot did away with them for a reason. Driving into a head wind could see 80 mph wind force and if it is raining water could get in easily. The fold down "rock protectors" in campers do more than protect camper windows from rocks. They help keep water out by breaking the force of the wind at the rubber seals. I've had similar problems with forward hatches when sailing offshore. The solution in that case was a fiberglass duck bill add to the hatch
to break the force of the waves.

Keep the photos rolling in. I'm glad I'm not the only TC member here with a target on me.

Still I enjoy the group. There are lots of real experts in here and I value what I can learn from them.

I have, heaven forbid...a rubber roof and aluminum frame! So you are closer to the norm.

Were it not for the fact I like to Boondock, winter camp, park in a normal 20' parking spaces, feel secure being up high, and have the capability of towing a boat, I might have bought an egg camper. In any event, we can share the dirty looks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1411383025.175676.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	76782

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #20

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
The repairs to the fiberglass should be easy enough. They are pretty accessible areas, so will be doing both side except for the one on the back, the shower wall is right there so will have to repair it from the outside only.

I expect the windows to have some issues, I think one front one is leaking as the inner paneling is water stained. Will have to source the issue, I think its the rim seal and will have to remove the window to redo seal, with out SILICONE.

Night Sailor, I've always thought of my self as being a bit "different", and it just continues here. If I could have got a towable for what I got the slide in for, I would have but, they are so far out of my budget and priced to the point here, I may as well buy new. I agree with the being able to tow a trailer, since I do have a quad.

Everything fiberglass I've learned, I've learned from here. I wonder if carbon fiber would be suitable substitute? I should have a new batch of photos coming in the next couple of weeks, It should be off the trailer once I get the final repairs done to the last jack mount.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #21

Connecticut
Carbon fiber is four times the cost. It is more brittle also. I've often thought about making a carbon camper.

Carbon fiber on top of a Nomex core makes very light panels and might be suitable for the interior with a few choice reinforcements for mounting hardware.

Unless you are going carbon in a big way it is not worth it.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #22

Saskatchewan
As cool as it would look, carbon fiber is certainly no go.

Today was a special day as I got it off the trailer and on its own 4 legs. Its currently sitting on rail ties off the ground awaiting the start of fiber glassing, which should start next week end, weather permitting. I unfortunately forgot to grab my camera so no shots of the inside. I will try to get them next week end.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #23

Saskatchewan
Well, after much delay I finally have an update, still haven't got to patching the fiberglass, electing instead to do some winter prep and interior work on the wiring. The converter has been removed along with a poorly installed outlet and some damaged wiring. It is also now standing on its own. Any one have a 39 inch or so tall fridge for sale? 2 or 3way?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2318[1].jpg   DSC_2314[1].jpg  

DSC_2315[1].jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #24

Connecticut
Nome good luck. Try eBay. They pop up. Also try Craigslist. Some people part out and restore TCs. There is a guy in Pa that dies that.

I like the bench seat. My dinette is not all that practical. I plan to put in some sort of bench for the dogs and two office swivel chairs.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #25

Saskatchewan
You can't see it in the pictures, but it is a wrap around dinette, the bench continues around under the fire extinguisher and another part can be folded out near the door. I don't think you could use the head though if it was set up as bed, doubt you could get the door open enough to get in. Very much looking forwards to using it come spring.

Tags
bigfoot