Restoring a 1984 Bigfoot truck camper - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Restoring a 1984 Bigfoot truck camper

I seem to like challenges that never seem to finish them selves. I started with a 1964 Pontiac Parssienne, moved onto 2002 Bombardier Quest that needs a new crank and now the story of a 1984 Bigfoot truck camper begins. Over all its not in bad shape, just needs some love and patches.

Seems it was well looked after, unitl it ended up at the auction yard, parked with a few of the windows open. Thankfully there is no water damage, just dust. Below are some pictures of the outside, once the jacks are on repairs can being and shots of the inside will follow. Tips for repair and restoration are greatly appreciated.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...lbums1397.html

Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Welcome to the group Sean....
That's a top end camper you have and it should be good for yet another 30 years of enjoyment. But.... It's kinda hard to give tips without specific issues. Let us know your problems with this molded fiberglass beauty and you will get lots of help.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
The biggest and most common one, the fiberglass needs some repairs. As seen in the album It fell over and ended up at the insurance auction. I'm working on getting the jacks reattached, one mount needs to be straightened and the the screws pulled out of the plywood.

Wiring has been tinkered with and needs some work as well, there are a few patches and exposed wire on the 12v side, pretty simple for me to do a rewire. The one thing I do need is a fridge, it was removed by the previous owners for some reason.

Also what is a good tank monitor system? I think it may have the probes, but no panel. I will have more pictures once the weather clears.

Thanks for the welcome to.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
It looks like one of the lighter Bigfoots. If it was me, I'd forget about the jacks and mount it permanently on a reg 3/4 ton longbed--I assume it is a longbed. If it is a short bed, I'd put in on a reg half ton shortbed. If you need more storage, try to find a utility body.

The fiberglass work is easy to do if you know what tols to use. A 5" grinder with 24 or 36 grit and and random orbital with 80 and finer grits.

What size fridge does it have?

A worthy project.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
It weighs about 1300lbs dry being as a 9.5 foot I also need m truck for other purposes so won't be permanently mounting it. The truck is a 1999 F250 Superduty 8 foot bed.

The fridge was removed by the previous owner for who knows what reasons, so at this point the space will be cleaned up and finished to fit a cooler.

The to do list so far is to repair the fiberglass, replace the bathroom roof vent, go to LED lighting inside and out, relocate the 7 pin pigtail to the back and mount it flush for a cleaner look, and eventually replace the paneling with something a bit more current.

Also need to redo the wiring from the years well meaning modifications and repairs.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Can't help you. My life is all about all molded TOWABLES, not something that slides into a truck bed. Sorry.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Thats fine Donna, there really isn't much difference, other then one is towed and one is hauled, other wise it's all the same insides.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #8

California
Me thinks that, after 21,722 posts that Donna is savvy on the differences between TOWABLES and Slide-In Campers. I believe that the basis for her point can be found in the sites introductory pages......
Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face The challenge of a vague Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Can't help you. My life is all about all molded TOWABLES, not something that slides into a truck bed. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
Thats fine Donna, there really isn't much difference, other then one is towed and one is hauled, other wise it's all the same insides.
The #1 key word is MOLDED. #2 is TOWABLE.
I think we can agree that IN THIS INSTANCE, the Bigfoot brand of molded slide-in truck camper is more like the all-molded towables than ANYTHING with:
  1. panel-and-frame construction
  2. an engine and transmission

The newer corporate ownership of this website wished to broaden the scope here, but the legacy all-volunteer "employees" of the previous sole proprietor ownership hold firm to the original laser focus on molded towables. I think we can be a little accommodating and adjust that focus IN THIS INSTANCE.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #10

California
Interesting points, but how is an all molded fiberglass Sunrader Mini-Motorhome, bolted to a Toyota truck chassis, that different from a BigFoot molded fiberglass camper sitting in the back of a Dodge truck?
And what about the stick-built BigFoot Campers?????

Tis a slippery slope we are venturing upon.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #11

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
The #1 key word is MOLDED. #2 is TOWABLE.
...than ANYTHING with:
  1. panel-and-frame construction
  2. an engine and transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
...how is an all molded fiberglass Sunrader Mini-Motorhome, bolted to a ... truck chassis, that different from a BigFoot molded fiberglass camper sitting in the back of a ... truck?
The difference is that the Sunrader is a single vehicle (see reference #2) with a single license plate.
Quote:
And what about the stick-built BigFoot Campers?

Tis a slippery slope we are venturing upon.
You answered your own question here. (see reference #1) The Bigfoot brand is NOT the focus.

I must agree with you in that it is a slippery slope. I have already reported myself for Moderation.

Julie Atherton - There's A Fine Fine Line [Avenue Q] - YouTube
Old 09-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Well, you could put a Bigfoot trailer on the bed of a truck (see pic), and you could put an axle and wheels under a Bigfoot camper (if you really wanted a project). I'd say there are more similarities between the two than not. Same manufacturer, same construction, same materials, same appliances. While a Bigfoot camper isn't a towable, it is molded fiberglass and shares and awful lot with it's wheeled cousin.
Attached Thumbnails
fuso-112.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #13

California
Quote: "While a Bigfoot camper isn't a towable, it is molded fiberglass and shares and awful lot with it's wheeled cousin"

BUT, not all BigFoot campers are molded fiberglass, some are stick built with sheet fiberglass sides, as are many of the later BigFoot trailers and all class "A" & "C" motorhomes, to which I reply, look at the name of the site.....

Again, Tis a Slippery Slope.....
Old 09-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Well, you could put a Bigfoot trailer on the bed of a truck (see pic), .
Every time I see a pic of a rig like that I can't help but think about knocking the axle & tongue off my Scamp and mounting it up on the back of my old extra-long wheelbase 1970 Chevy one ton. But then I guess I would be banned off the board.

Tags
bigfoot