Restoring my 1980 13' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,828
Sherry,

For the seams I originally used the Seam Tape from Scamp but I hated it.
I caulked the seams recently with paintable caulk and used the Zinsser paint to match them to the painted hide and I'm a much happier camper.
__________________

__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #16
Administrator
 
Mary F's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Posts: 9,708
Registry
Quote:
ya know that really is a silly little banana!
That's why we came up with the okra! To keep the banana company...


__________________

__________________
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
________________________________
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #17
Member
 
Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Posts: 70
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Post

Quote:
Sherry,

For the seams I originally used the Seam Tape from Scamp but I hated it.
I caulked the seams recently with paintable caulk and used the Zinsser paint to match them to the painted hide and I'm a much happier camper.

Hmm. I see . Sounds much easier than trying to find seam tape. I like that they'll kinda blend in that way. I made a mess the last time I touched caulking. But, I'll give it a try.
Sherry
__________________
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #18
Member
 
Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Posts: 70
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Cool

Quote:
That's why we came up with the okra! To keep the banana company...

LOL!!!!
__________________
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Hmm. I see . Sounds much easier than trying to find seam tape. I like that they'll kinda blend in that way. I made a mess the last time I touched caulking. But, I'll give it a try.
Sherry
Seam caulking could definitely be classified as an art. My last seams I caulked are light years better then my first seams which are still light years better than our experience with the seam tape.
Keep a small bucket of water and wet your finger to smooth out then use a wet paper towel and kinda dab it. Play around with it, you'll get good at it.
__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #20
Member
 
Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Posts: 70
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Quote:
Seam caulking could definitely be classified as an art. My last seams I caulked are light years better then my first seams which are still light years better than our experience with the seam tape.
Keep a small bucket of water and wet your finger to smooth out then use a wet paper towel and kinda dab it. Play around with it, you'll get good at it.

I just figured at this point it'll have more character either way. LOL!! But, I am going to give it a shot. Thanks for the advice, I need it.
__________________
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
(Larry & Carrie @ May 28 2008, 10:12 AM) Try a mild TSP solution-- made our elephant hide look like new--- took all the yellowing (prob ncotine/smoke) right off and made it white again. Not sticky either... Larry
Quote:
thanks!! I can't wait to see what works. I
Sherry,

We are not finished painting the ensolilte yet, but the pictures of our cleanup should give you an idea of what is possible.

We are putting the double sided tape on for the seams, thought we'd see how that works before wanting to caulk them.

Roy
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
Member
 
Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Posts: 70
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Exclamation

Quote:
Sherry,

We are not finished painting the ensolilte yet, but the pictures of our cleanup should give you an idea of what is possible.

We are putting the double sided tape on for the seams, thought we'd see how that works before wanting to caulk them.

Roy

Wow! Roy you had quite the project. Great pic's! I wish I would have taken before pic's from when I purchased my Scamp. I've been fixing it up between my camping trips.
It is such a relief to see that the lining was easier to clean and actually keep than I thought. But, thanks to all the ideas and advice I've received I can now work on the lining.

Thanks!!
__________________
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
http://rubber-gaskets.com/foam-padding-and-pads.html this company can add the adhesive layer to the backside of a variety of rubber pad products of various thickness so it sticks into place.

Harry
__________________

__________________
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restoring Our 1972 Boler American Roy in TO Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 58 05-17-2016 06:05 PM
1980 Scamp 13' For Sale Patrick D Classified Archives 3 07-14-2010 02:37 PM
Restoring the Finish on Bigfoot DwayneR Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 9 05-14-2009 03:05 AM
Restoring a Play-Mor II ('87 I think) Geron Modifications, Alterations and Updates 9 05-08-2008 09:23 AM
1980 scamp Isaac Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 05-30-2007 10:46 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.