Restoring my 1980 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Thumbs up

I am trying to restore my 13' Scamp. It's an "80" with the old lining on the interior. I was wondering the best way to go about replacing it. I was told to just leave it and put the new lining over it. ??? I wasn't sure if anything would stick to it or how to go about doing that. I'm ready for a big project. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Maybe you could repair it. Use 3M spray adhesive and I found the white tape for the seams.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm kinda in agreement with Jim. Let's start with what's wrong with it. If it's a mess, we have some solutions for that. But even if you do put something over the top, it's like a paint job, the "foundation" has to be good to make the finished product last.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
I'm kinda in agreement with Jim. Let's start with what's wrong with it. If it's a mess, we have some solutions for that. But even if you do put something over the top, it's like a paint job, the "foundation" has to be good to make the finished product last.

Thanks for responding. Well, besides being obviously old it is a little sticky to the touch. The original owner left it without a few windows so, I've dealt with some molding around the top vent and on the lining itself. I bleached it which seemed to help. It would be easier if I didn't have to remove it but, it is slightly textured (rippled). I was told it was the original lining. ??? I'm just not sure what product to use. I've gotten mixed responses. Some say leave it and the other half says nothing will stick to it for long.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Sherry,
You will learn to love the "elephant skin" interior. After a good scrubbing or two or three......I have used Pine-Sol and bleach with a scrub brush and it came out like new. Once it is clean, it is easy to keep clean with a quick wipe down. It may be a bit stickie to the touch if the PO was a smoker. Anyway, take the cushions and curtains out and lay some towels on the carpet, open all the windows and scrub to your heart's content. Keep us posted on how it comes out.
Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #6

Cool

Quote:
Sherry,
You will learn to love the "elephant skin" interior. After a good scrubbing or two or three......I have used Pine-Sol and bleach with a scrub brush and it came out like new. Once it is clean, it is easy to keep clean with a quick wipe down. It may be a bit stickie to the touch if the PO was a smoker. Anyway, take the cushions and curtains out and lay some towels on the carpet, open all the windows and scrub to your heart's content. Keep us posted on how it comes out.
Chris,
I'm so glad to hear that someone still has the old lining. I actually do like the old "elephant skin." Perfect way to describe it. I've been cleaning it with a bleach product and was hoping it wasn't going to ruin it. I will clean it and keep it. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks!!!!!
Sherry
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Try a mild TSP solution-- made our elephant hide look like new--- took all the yellowing (prob ncotine/smoke) right off and made it white again. Not sticky either... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Try a mild TSP solution-- made our elephant hide look like new--- took all the yellowing (prob ncotine/smoke) right off and made it white again. Not sticky either... Larry

thanks!! I can't wait to see what works. I was worried I'd need to completely remove the lining. But, agree that it'll (elephant hide) look nice cleaned up. I'll try it!! what did you use on the seams? I removed all the seam tape due to yellowing. I've looked at a couple different places and haven't seen anything similiar to what I need.
Thanks, again!
Sherry
Old 05-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You might also do a search of the Yahoo Scampers archives for seam tape replacement.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
You might also do a search of the Yahoo Scampers archives for seam tape replacement.

I'll do that. Thanks!!
Sherry
Old 05-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Sherry,

I have an 81 Scamp with the "hide." We used Fantastic and a good nylon brissle brush to clean. PO was a smoker and it was real sticky. The cleaning got it pretty good and then we painted it with Zinsser Perma White which is recommended here for painting the "hide." Got it at Lowes.

It came out really awesome and is bright white. A big advantage of the paint is that if we get marks or scuffs while camping that don't completely clean up I've got a quart of the Zinsser and in 5 seconds it's back to new.....

The Zinsser is tintable as well if you want to do some Fuschia Lioness color and make a fashion statement.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Will contact cement to mount dust ruffles stick to the paint?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Will contact cement to mount dust ruffles stick to the paint?
Don't know Pete, don't use anything like that in mine.
Paint doesn't flake off or anything and it's been over a year of hard use with no issues, so it might.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #14

Thanks!! I was looking at it today and noticed that some areas were white. So, when I'm finished scrubbing my little heart out, I'll have to paint it. I really can't wait to see the outcome. what did you use for the seams?

ya know that really is a silly little banana!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #15

Sherry,

For the seams I originally used the Seam Tape from Scamp but I hated it.
I caulked the seams recently with paintable caulk and used the Zinsser paint to match them to the painted hide and I'm a much happier camper.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #16
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
ya know that really is a silly little banana!
That's why we came up with the okra! To keep the banana company...

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Sherry,

For the seams I originally used the Seam Tape from Scamp but I hated it.
I caulked the seams recently with paintable caulk and used the Zinsser paint to match them to the painted hide and I'm a much happier camper.

Hmm. I see . Sounds much easier than trying to find seam tape. I like that they'll kinda blend in that way. I made a mess the last time I touched caulking. But, I'll give it a try.
Sherry
Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #18

Cool

Quote:
That's why we came up with the okra! To keep the banana company...

LOL!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Hmm. I see . Sounds much easier than trying to find seam tape. I like that they'll kinda blend in that way. I made a mess the last time I touched caulking. But, I'll give it a try.
Sherry
Seam caulking could definitely be classified as an art. My last seams I caulked are light years better then my first seams which are still light years better than our experience with the seam tape.
Keep a small bucket of water and wet your finger to smooth out then use a wet paper towel and kinda dab it. Play around with it, you'll get good at it.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Seam caulking could definitely be classified as an art. My last seams I caulked are light years better then my first seams which are still light years better than our experience with the seam tape.
Keep a small bucket of water and wet your finger to smooth out then use a wet paper towel and kinda dab it. Play around with it, you'll get good at it.

I just figured at this point it'll have more character either way. LOL!! But, I am going to give it a shot. Thanks for the advice, I need it.

Tags
scamp