I know it's been a little more than a year since I started this thread
Well it's 2 years now and I still have not posted the things I did while at Bolerama 2006.
With a big trip planned to the east coast a couple of weeks after Bolerama, I really did not trust the tires
that were on the trailer. I bought 3 new tires
mounted on rims on sale at Princess Auto on the way up to Bolerama (same price as tires
alone). I changed the tires between checking out the other trailers and socializing with a great gang of people gathered at Bolerama.
The original tires were a 6.00-13 bias tire, a single badly worn one remained as the spare.The trailer came sitting on a pair of P165/70R13 (?) car tires that were on it for a very long time. Everything pointed to the closest current replacement being a ST175/80R13.
I soon learned the 3 sizes were not even close. This picture shows the 3 tires side by side.
The worn 6.00-13 on the left, the car tire in the middle and the ST175/80R13 on the right.
Below on the left is the 6.00-13 compared to the ST175/80R13 and the picture below that shows the problem I encountered.
The new ST175/80R13 tires would not fit under the body and over the hub without prying the torsion arm down. I was able to move the arm down just enough to get the tire over the hub, using the side mounting holes built into the axle
with a tire iron and scissor jack. With the new tires on, I thought we were one step closer to being ready for our first big trip. On the way home from Emily, I could hear the tires scrubbing going over bumps. I quickly learned to slow down and avoid bumps.
Once home, I could see the tire marks on the top of the wheel well. I got the trailer down to my local welder who cut the axle
off and welded some 2" x 2" tubular steel between the two. That solved the problem while giving me a better riding height at the same time. Our big trip was still a go!!
I am positive we would not have made it through some of rough side roads out east without having raised the trailer. At the end of the second summer I had to replace one tire due to extreme wear from what I now know to be a BAD axle
. I replaced one tire and swapped the new spare for the better of the worn tires. The man at Cerka axle took one look at the worn spare and said "BENT SPINDLE".
I've ordered a new axle which will change the original leading arm to a trailing arm with electric brakes
. I will be switching tires again ... the axle swap allows me to use a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern using an ST165R12 tire. This tire size is crucial to obtaining the best results with the axle swap. Luckily Princess Auto has a Carlisle ST165R12 mounted on a 12" (5 on 4.5") rim on sale @ 25% off. Oddly enough this is the closest match in overall size to the original 6.00-13. The original spare tire cover fits the new tire perfectly.
The axle swap will posted much later. I will try to post the fixes in the order they were done. There is more than a years work to catch up on posting first.