Restoring the Finish on Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
I've cleaned my new to me B17CB and now I need to bring back some shine to the Gelcoat finish. What is the best product to use for good results?

DwayneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1986 19 ft Bigfoot
Quote:
I've cleaned my new to me B17CB and now I need to bring back some shine to the Gelcoat finish. What is the best product to use for good results?

Hi,
We have used the Meguiars RV, on two Bigfoots that needed a lot of TLC on the outside (very chalky look). It is a 3 steps process, first Oxidation then Polish and finally the Wax. The first step is the most important and needs to be repeated until you get the shiny look you want. The result is pretty amazing. If you keep your trailer outside year round, I would suggest that, once completed , you wax your Bigfoot 2 or 3 times a year (very easy step) in order to keep the glossy look.
Here are some pictures of our last project, that will give you an idea about the "before and after"....:
http://gallery.me.com/flangenard#100368/P4...p;bgcolor=black

Here is the Meguiars web site:
http://marinerv.meguiars.com/

I am sure that there are tons of products out there that would do the job and I remember that we decided to use Meguiars after it was recommended by someone on the Bigfoot forum.

Hope this help.

Cheers,

Frederic
FredericL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Probably the best information I've received over the years from members of this forum, is there's lots of good cleaning/wax products. What truly determines "best" is that it gets used! In other words, none work unless you take the time to apply. And fairly often. I happen to like Gel Gloss. Easy on, easy off and looks good. On my Scamp, the top half (belly band up) needs to be waxed twice as often as the down portion... and the entire front about 4x the amount of the back half. For me, what makes the trailer easier to keep clean... is the fact it's kept under a carport when not in use. It just gets dusty. No sun, no rain and no moss or black streaks to deal with.

Your mileage may vary.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Nice looking trailer, Frederic.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1995 13 ft Scamp
I just finished using the 3-part system on my 95 13' Scamp. It really does a nice job removing the chualk and bringing back a beautiful shine. If been using it for years on boats and was a manager for a marine center that sold it. If you do purchase it, they have a "Gelcoat Restoration Kit"and a "Fiberglass Restoration Kit". I use the Fiberglass Restoration Kit. A bit more work, but results are great. Check at west marine stores or Boat U/S. If you have an orbital polisher I would higher reccomend using it. The results will very if done by hand. God Luck

Name:   MEG_9633.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  12.8 KB

Fiberglass Restoration Kit

Name:   488692.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  12.6 KB

Gelcoat Restoration Kit....
Nick Glenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I've also used the Meguiars 3 step treatment with very good results on my Scamp that I just sold. But I still have some left over and I'll be using it on my Horizon. Once I do use it I just might give Gel Gloss a try to keep it maintained.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #7

Registry
Anyone know where to get the Meguiars 3 Step Fiberglass Restoration Kit in Western Canada? They did have the Oxidation Remover & Pure Wax sold individually at the local Canuck Tire, but not the polish. Maybe I'll be able to get it at the Walmart in Bellingham, or go online.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Try a marine supply store.

Bill K

Quote:
Anyone know where to get the Meguiars 3 Step Fiberglass Restoration Kit in Western Canada? They did have the Oxidation Remover & Pure Wax sold individually at the local Canuck Tire, but not the polish. Maybe I'll be able to get it at the Walmart in Bellingham, or go online.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I've also used the Meguiars 3 step treatment with very good results on my Scamp
So, now I'm confused (happens 8-10 x/day). Is this 3-step product better or somehow different than the 2-step Polyprep/Polyglow that was so highly recommended in previous threads? I just applied 3 more coats to the 5 original coats I applied last Fall. Has a really great shine, and the dirt just rinses off.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #10

Registry
after perusing the Meguiars website I am thinking I need the Power Cut Compound #91, following up with the Premium Marine Wax. The website makes no mention of a 3 Step Fiberglass Resto Kit or System.
I think the Polyglow you're refering to is actually not a wax, but more of a coating that you just wipe on and leave on. I'm figuring I'll try the traditional wax method first.

Tags
bigfoot