Reversible Drop Down Hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Reversible Drop Down Hitch

Hello there gang,

I recently discovered that hitching up to my Burro would be much easier if my hitch ball were lower. So I set out to purchase a drop down hitch for my tow vehicle. Then I discovered that my current hitch appears to be reversible. If I remove the cotter pin and reverse the orientation it looks like I get a 2 inch drop. Does this sound feasible to you guys? Is it safe to do this if I install the cotter pin back correctly after I flip the orientation, remove the nut and ball, and reverse it?

A new one isn't that expensive but the current ball hitch I have is new and I'd like to be able to use it.

John
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
What you're talking about is the ball mount, and most all ball mounts have a rise and a drop, and are made to go both ways. What you want is for your egg to be level when attached. So yes, go for it. I've been reversing ball mounts to keep a towed trailer level for years. Just make sure everything is good and tight, check it once in a while, and don't forget the hitch pin for the ball mount!

By the way, I always change the orientation of these right in my hitch, with it pinned. It's the easiest way to do it, and you don't have to go far. It helps to by a big wrench sized to the nut on your ball too.

Good luck!

Frank

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When connected the trailer and tow vehicle should pretty close to level. You don't need an "level" to check, your eye can tell close enough. You don't want the trailer either nose high or nose low. If the trailer as the ball mount is currently configured is nose high the flip the ball mount. If the trailer is level leave it be.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
just a word of caution...reese (or some other trailer hitch company) recommends 350 ft lbs torque on the hitch ball retaining nut...that's a lot. you can put the hitch in the receiver sideways and use a long wrench to jump on (or find somebody that heavy to stand on it).

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
That's the way to do it John. I've got a couple different stingers with different ball hights. Makes it easier as I have 5 trailers. A cheater bar on the wrench will put plenty of # on the nut.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
just a word of caution...reese (or some other trailer hitch company) recommends 350 ft lbs torque on the hitch ball retaining nut...
p@
That torque depends on the size of the threaded portion of the ball. There are different sizes available so check the spec before torquing
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Drop Down Hitch

Thanks for this great advice. Drop down hitches can alleviate a lot of headaches at the campsite trying to get the trailer at the correct height for the tow vehicle. Wish I had thought of this before my first trip but oh well, I survived! I will reverse my hitch this weekend and follow all of the advice here! Thanks folks!
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Salinas View Post
That torque depends on the size of the threaded portion of the ball. There are different sizes available so check the spec before torquing
It normally will say right on the package the ball comes with as to what the torque should be.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote