Rim Upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I'm looking to change the rims on my 79 Trillium and wanted to see if anyone else has done this....I don't think going from 13" to 14" will be any problem, but if I wanted to go to a 15" will I need to redo anything such as the axle....My camper is stock with no upgrades to the axle.........I didn't want to go buy the rims then find out they want fit inside the wheel well...I tried to do a search on this but couldn't find any information on it......Thanks for any help
RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Randy
I am not familiar with your trailer but a poster a while back posted this formula which may be of help to you...... I tried it on my own tires and the formula worked. try a few different tires on different vehicles and see if it works for you before making a purchase.
Hope this helps.

Joe

For those considering a switch to 15" wheels and tires, and wonder if they will fit, you might be surprised to hear that many 15" tires are SMALLER the 14" tires you are replacing.

It's the outside diameter that counts, not the wheel size, which is fairly irrelevant.

To calculate the overall diameter in inches, just multiply the tire width (like "215" in a 215-75-15) times the aspect ratio of the tire (.75 in our test case) times two, and then divide by 25.4 (since tires are metric, and we want the results in inches), then add the wheel diameter (15" in our case). The answer for this example is 27.7" diameter.

Do the same for whatever tire you now have on your trailer, and see how much space you have between your present tire and the closest wheel well edge. In the case of someone using a Kumho 205R14C, which is an "80 Series" tire, the calculated diameter is 27.95".

The calculated diameter may vary from the actual diameter due to inflation pressure and manufacturer differences (different brands or tread designs of the same "size" may vary slightly by 3% or so).
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
I'm looking to change the rims on my 79 Trillium and wanted to see if anyone else has done this....I don't think going from 13" to 14" will be any problem, but if I wanted to go to a 15" will I need to redo anything such as the axle....My camper is stock with no upgrades to the axle.........I didn't want to go buy the rims then find out they want fit inside the wheel well...I tried to do a search on this but couldn't find any information on it......Thanks for any help
RANDY

Randy,

Given your trailer is now over 30 years old, upgrading the axle is not a bad idea. Could be an excellent one, in fact. The upgrade will allow you to have brakes (if you don't already) and run larger wheels and tires without a problem. Many of us prefer the ride height and travel of the larger wheel set-up. Obviously, you'll need to ensure that the tires will fit within your wheel wells. Roughly speaking, a 15" wheel increases the radius of the wheel circle one inch. This is most important when checking the width of your wheel well. The clearance required by the vertical travel of the wheel within the well can be adjusted by the "down angle" of the axle hubs. Talk to your axle reseller/installer for more details about this.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

Don't forget that tires are engineered for a specific application. That is, automobile tires are not necessarily a good use for a trailer and vice versa. For a good discussion see:

http://www.taskmasterproducts.com/acatalog...railertires.pdf

Good luck on getting your egg up to par!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote