rinsing out gray water tank? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I am assuming there is always sediment in the bottom of the graywater tank.. can i just run some water with a hose down the sink drain and keep the graywater tank lever open and just run the water thru? I would like to keep it as clean as possible ..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I am assuming there is always sediment in the bottom of the graywater tank.. can i just run some water with a hose down the sink drain and keep the graywater tank lever open and just run the water thru? I would like to keep it as clean as possible ..

Here's my method.

This works because I can empty the gray water tank in my driveway, it just runs down into my hay field.
I connect a hose to the "city water connection" using my household water.
Remove the gray water cap, and open the gray water. Let it drain.
Then turn on the faucet and let water go through the sink into the tank for bit.
Then close the gray water valve while the water is still running inside the trailer.
Wait until water comes out the gray water tank overflow.
Open the drain valve again and let the tank empty. (This also flushes any residue down the driveway and into the field or storm drain)
Close the valve again, water is still running inside the trailer.
Let the tank fill again. Empty and it's all rinsed out, the residue is rinsed away.

If the tank appears to have nasty looking stuff come out on the first draining, on the second filling I'll pour a couple cups of bleach down the drain. When the tank starts to overflow I'll shut off the water and wait an hour or then drain the tank. That should keep more stuff from growing in the tank.

I usually leave a bit of clean water in the tank when all finished, maybe a gallon or so. This helps keep thing diluted a bit.

Byron

Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #3

thanks .. i will do that...!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
silly question but do all gray water tanks have overflow vents? i have only seen stack vents in roof for gray and black tanks.
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
silly question but do all gray water tanks have overflow vents? i have only seen stack vents in roof for gray and black tanks.

Not sure about other trailers but Scamp does. Scamp doesn't have "stack vents", No holes in the roof.
If there's not a overflow then just watch the sink when it start to fill then it's time to drain the tank.

Byron
Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	08Jun23Dinette_PumpCompartmentOpened.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	14412

Here's how Scamp does their gray water tank. The clear hose with black crud inside is the waste line from the sink, the green and white striped hose is the vent line, one end attached to a fitting to the gray water tank, the other end goes through the floor and sticks out a couple inches below the subfloor under the trailer.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I don't understand. Why does it matter that the gray water tank is clean? Just fill it and drain 2-3 times per year and call it good enough.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
I don't understand. Why does it matter that the gray water tank is clean? Just fill it and drain 2-3 times per year and call it good enough.

-- Dan Meyer
I have not experience this, but I imagine that if left alone and not rinsed and cleaned a bit it would start to smell bad. The last time I drained mine I had let it sit for a couple weeks after returning home and some pretty nasty looking stuff came out of it. I'd rather keep the nasties killed off before they become a stinky problem.

Byron
Old 07-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
don't understand. Why does it matter that the gray water tank is clean? Just fill it and drain 2-3 times per year and call it good enough.
(sigh) maybe that was a dumb question to ask.. I would just like to make sure it stays clean....
Old 07-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
oh as far a smell goes i tired that water softener and laundry soap system that was posted here somewhere. a couple of capfuls of calgon water softener from the laundry isle of store and a few caps full of liquid laundry soap i use tide. add a few gallons of water and drive around the block a few times of after you dumped tanks at CG drain again when you get home. seems to do a good job of cleaning tanks so far
not the one i saw before but this is the basics http://www.newrver.com/holdingtank.html
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I don't have a gray water tank yet and I would tend to leave it alone unless there was a problem with it, but I did read about people filling theirs with ice cubes and driving around on a bumpy road to swish them around until they melt, then flush them out. No idea how well this works, though.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...We use "The Geo Method" as described by Al V. Mix together powdered Calgon 1/2 - 1 c./Laundry Detergent 1/2- 1c./ liquid Bleach 1/4- 1/2 c. if necessary with 1 gal. water and pour into sink or toilet before leaving on your next trip. Towing does all the work. Keeps things slick, clean, and sweeter smelling. Works for us!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I don't have a gray water tank yet and I would tend to leave it alone unless there was a problem with it, but I did read about people filling theirs with ice cubes and driving around on a bumpy road to swish them around until they melt, then flush them out. No idea how well this works, though.
That's the black water tank method... I'm not sure you could get ice cubes to pass the strainer area in the sink for the gray water. There are commercial odor removers available at most RV stores... if it's a major concern.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I imagine that if left alone and not rinsed and cleaned a bit it would start to smell bad.
Yep.. it certainly does. My trailer is parked in one spot for the summer, no hook ups, and my dumps need to be done via a Tote-Along. Both gray and black.

Since I can't do a real thorough rinse of either.. I am running on my fresh tank.. no city water.. I dump about 3 teaspoons full of the same stuff I use in the black and 1/2 gallon of water in the drain before I leave on monday a.m.

It works well.. and no stinkies!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
That's the black water tank method... I'm not sure you could get ice cubes to pass the strainer area in the sink for the gray water.
Sorry about the confusion. Makes perfect sense.