Rivet 101? What am I looking at? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I'm not sure of this lacking any real scale to determine screw size but those screws in the window frame might have a thicker shaft than the stock rivet. Could have been an adaption to drilling out old rivet and having a hole too large for the stock rivet to grip.

Just a thought that might explain the screws there while other places are still rivets.

Oh and white liquid electrical tape can be dabbed on a rivet as a short term seal. Lasts 6 months or so around here and seals things until you get around to replacing them. Big box stores will have liquid electrical tape, white matches pretty well.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
...I've heard arguments as to how jets utilize so many rivets without problems....umm...but they dont put snap caps on them either.
If jets regularly drove on North American highways, they'd probably have occasional rivet issues, too!

Old 09-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Well thought out and written reply Roger.. thanks.

Rosie would be proud of you

PS.. I still doubt that the caps help prevent leaks to any measurable degree but I could be wrong.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
I just bought a 2001 16' Scamp this past weekend. All the snap caps need to be replaced. I can use a fingernail and chip off the washer, they are so brittle. I have 2 questions:
1 - if I leave the rivets exposed (maybe smear a little clear goop in the hole in the end of each one) will they be waterproof provided the washer is still under the rivet
2 - has anyone replaced the rivets with waterproof white rivets like used on boats so you wouldn't need the caps at all? (I'm not sure if they make white rivets or not...)
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Rivet 101? What am I looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZimmerman View Post
I just bought a 2001 16' Scamp this past weekend. All the snap caps need to be replaced. I can use a fingernail and chip off the washer, they are so brittle. I have 2 questions:

1 - if I leave the rivets exposed (maybe smear a little clear goop in the hole in the end of each one) will they be waterproof provided the washer is still under the rivet

2 - has anyone replaced the rivets with waterproof white rivets like used on boats so you wouldn't need the caps at all? (I'm not sure if they make white rivets or not...)

Thanks,

Steve

If you choose door #1, I suspect the washers will eventually deteriorate further, break out from underneath the rivet head, and you'll end up with a loose, leaking rivet.

Regarding door #2, see posts #16-18.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Thanks Jon. My thought on #1 is temporary and replace as needed with hopefully door #2. I was just wondering more so if anyone had used white rivets and it they are worth it or better just using the silver one's and a bit of white (or off white) marine paint.