Rivet Sizes - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
The Scamp site lists the following rivet sizes from their parts department:

Rivets size 44, 46, 48, 56, 66, 68, 6-10, 6-12, 6-14, 6-16

Does anybody know which size goes where? Hoping to use this as a guide for buying replacement rivets.

If it is any help, I am looking at replacing some of the rivets around the door and body to closet on my Boler American which is very similar to the early 13' Scamps.

TIA

Roy
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 41
I read somewhere on here that scamp sells a package of assorted rivets, so maybe you could ask them (unless someone knows here). I want to add an upper cabinet over the bed, which scamp sells, and I'll need to know which size rivets to use, and if it'll fit--so I'm going to see if I can talk to someone at Scamp.

Quote:
The Scamp site lists the following rivet sizes from their parts department:

Rivets size 44, 46, 48, 56, 66, 68, 6-10, 6-12, 6-14, 6-16

Does anybody know which size goes where? Hoping to use this as a guide for buying replacement rivets.

If it is any help, I am looking at replacing some of the rivets around the door and body to closet on my Boler American which is very similar to the early 13' Scamps.

TIA

Roy
__________________

__________________
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DanPatWork's Avatar
 
Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 191
Registry
Quote:
I read somewhere on here that scamp sells a package of assorted rivets, so maybe you could ask them (unless someone knows here). I want to add an upper cabinet over the bed, which scamp sells, and I'll need to know which size rivets to use, and if it'll fit--so I'm going to see if I can talk to someone at Scamp.
On our 16' Scamp that I currently have stripped the interior down to fiberglass hull, the cabs over the bed were mounted with screws into the wood, not rivets. These are the wood "look" cabinets that go in the corners.

hth.

Dan
__________________
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
I read somewhere on here that scamp sells a package of assorted rivets, so maybe you could ask them (unless someone knows here). I want to add an upper cabinet over the bed, which scamp sells, and I'll need to know which size rivets to use, and if it'll fit--so I'm going to see if I can talk to someone at Scamp.
Rather than purchase a cabinet from Scamp which may or may not fit your Boler, have you considered ordering from Paul Neumeister who makes cabinets specifically for Bolers?
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
On our 16' Scamp that I currently have stripped the interior down to fiberglass hull, the cabs over the bed were mounted with screws into the wood, not rivets. These are the wood "look" cabinets that go in the corners.
According to what I've read on Yahoo Scampers, Scamp's Deluxe models, also have the wooden cabinetry fastened with screws, not rivets (difficult to rivet into a piece of wood...).
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 41
thanks I didn't know that, I've added it to my favorites
Quote:
Rather than purchase a cabinet from Scamp which may or may not fit your Boler, have you considered ordering from Paul Neumeister who makes cabinets specifically for Bolers?
__________________
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
According to what I've read on Yahoo Scampers, Scamp's Deluxe models, also have the wooden cabinetry fastened with screws, not rivets (difficult to rivet into a piece of wood...).
Yes, but it's easy to rivet to a metal bracket... my Boler B1700 (like almost every B1700) has wood cabinets, which are fastened to the shell with small angle brackets - the brackets are riveted to the fiberglass.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
Member
 
Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
Posts: 67
I asked Scamp to send me every size rivet I would need to do my entire 1985 16' trailer (ensolite insulation). They sent one bag with a mixture of 5/8" and longer, 3/16" diameter rivets. After sorting them all out, I discovered that I almost never needed any rivet except the shortest ones. I ended up using rivets from the local hardware store for most everything.

drip rail and bathroom window: 1/8" diam., long rivets, but redrilled to 5/32" diam., long to improve seal

rest of windows: 5/32" diam., long rivets; they are a touch too long, but the mediums are too short...
(had to drill several out to a larger 3/16" to pull the window into the fiberglass)
(also--I found that several rivets "missed" the fiberglass when installed at the factory)

closet, cabinets: 3/16" diam., long rivets except where cabinet wasn't flush with the outside wall



So, in short--I did just about everthing with 5/32" long rivets and 3/16" long rivets.

Derek



Quote:
The Scamp site lists the following rivet sizes from their parts department:

Rivets size 44, 46, 48, 56, 66, 68, 6-10, 6-12, 6-14, 6-16

Does anybody know which size goes where? Hoping to use this as a guide for buying replacement rivets.

If it is any help, I am looking at replacing some of the rivets around the door and body to closet on my Boler American which is very similar to the early 13' Scamps.

TIA

Roy
__________________
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
So, in short--I did just about everthing with 5/32" long rivets and 3/16" long rivets.

Derek
Thanks Derek,

I ended up buying a large kit from Brafasco, as well as a couple of 100 sized rivets that matched the two I drilled out for size comparisons. I ended up using a lot of washers just to make things right. There seemed to be a lot of spots that were just a little too short for one size and just a little too long for the next size up in the kit. When I get the time, I will look up the sizes I used and post them. The sizes were listed in fractions of inches rather than the 2 digit numerical format.

Roy
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bed sizes Mike Watters Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 96 09-13-2016 09:24 AM
Rivet sizes? Parker Buckley Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 12-04-2009 06:20 PM
which ones come in larger sizes? Alexandra B General Chat 7 04-20-2009 06:13 PM
Rivets, rivet caps, rivet gun BOBSMITH Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 7 06-11-2008 10:24 PM
Bed sizes Mike Watters Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.