Rivets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Name: Betty
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13
TX
Rivets

I need to change out lots of rivets on my 13' Scamp. I don't know what sizes I need. Someone said 3/16 but how long does it need to be? These are mainly for the upper cabinets.

Thanks as always,
Bojetty
bojetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojetty View Post
I need to change out lots of rivets on my 13' Scamp. I don't know what sizes I need. Someone said 3/16 but how long does it need to be? These are mainly for the upper cabinets.

Thanks as always,
Bojetty
Maybe I can find some notes on that tomorrow. Or maybe someone else will reply...

But the easy way is to call Scamp and tell them what rivets you are going to replace and let them sell you the replacements. In some cases you might have to use a sightly different size than the original but the boys at Scamp can advise you on that and supply what you need.

They are really very supportive of owners which is maybe the strongest selling point for owning a Scamp.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

TX
Thank you, Gordon. I'll call them.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
How did you make out on this .... why not share with others what sizes etc as we have a lot of scamp owners.... just saying
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #5

TX
Hi Alan, I'm still not certain of the sizes I need. I called Scamp and the man said 3/16......probably. I still don't know anymore than I did before my call. I will call again and hope to get someone different. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When i re riveted my 13 Scamp i ordered a complete from Scamp for a 16 footer so when done I would have some left overs. There a a few odd lengths that Scamp carries.

I used a pnumatic rivet gun from Harbor Freight to make the job easier.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ter-93458.html
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	grip scale.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	127750
There is a professional tool made for most task including figuring out the grip length for fasteners. You can of course make your own if you are handy. But Hi-Lok grip gauges are under $10.00 on the internet. It is a handy tool to have in your tool box for anyone who makes and modifies things.

You insert the tool through the hole and catch the edge of the hook on the backside of the materials. Then you look at the scale at the surface on the outside of the hole and read the measurement. on the edge of the scale. That measurement is the grip length.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote