Rivets, Acorn nuts, Rivnuts etc. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #41

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
California
When the factory drilled some the rivet holes in my 2003 Casita they held the drill at a 30 degree angle so the drill chuck would clear the cabinet face. When a screw is inserted through the exterior and interior holes the screw will not sit flush against the outside skin of the trailer. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to handle this issue?

One idea I have is to use a snap-cap base with a SS countersunk washer inside of it which would let the SS screw be at an angle then the snap-cap cover would cover up the screw and the installation would look consistent with the other rivets.

Tom
lindenberg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #42

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenberg22 View Post
On my Casita some of the existing rivet holes were drilled at an angle so a stainless steel screw sill not sit flush against the outside skin of the trailer. One of them is about a 30 degree angle. Any recommendations on how to handle this issue?

One idea I have is to use a snap-cap base with a SS countersunk washer inside of it which would let the SS screw be at an angle then the snap-cap cover would cover up the screw and the installation would look consistent with the other rivets.

Tom
First of all when you attempt this use a drill block guide to make sure the hole goes in straight as it is very difficult to eyeball such things.

You should be able to increase the hole size a very small fractional amount larger and get it straightened out without needing to increase the screw size. A new rivet will likely also expand to fit that very small diameter change. Drills come in numbered sizes as well as fractional sizes so look at a drill size chart and find that in between very small size increase that will do the trick. A good hardware store will sell those numbered drill bits as well as the standard fractional size bits. Most drill bit sets that home owners buy have large increases in size between the selections in those sets but there are bits that come in smaller fractional size increases between the selection of bits in those sets. So you can also try to find those missing fractional drill sizes that fit between.

Screws are threaded, those threads on the screw will eventually work that hole a little larger anyway. One of the rubber bonded stainless steel washers used with the screw will help keep that screw from moving over time because it will grip tightly to the surface instead of sliding around on a smooth surface.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #43

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quick update, just in case anyone cares or is wondering.. Back in 2008, I replaced all rivets with stainless steel machine screws, stainless flat washers, neoprene washers (inside AND outside), and stainless acorn nuts .. and have experienced ZERO structural failures, nor leaks. The most annoying thing is loosing an acorn inside as it rattles loose. Otherwise spent the last weekend in lots of rain and STILL no leaks, even though the neoprene washers on the outside are starting to look a bit weathered and slightly dry rotten (time to reorder and replace, I think its $9 for a box of 100), but again no failures or leaks.
andy vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #44

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
They do make stainless steel lock washers too which could be added below the flat washers, and then there are also those "quasi-acorn" looking nuts which are shaped like an acorn nut, but the bottom is open. The nice thing is that they have nylock lined threaded areas inside and shouldn't loosen up.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #45

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quasi Acorn?

Is a Quasi Acorn like a Walnut?
Attached Thumbnails
acorns.jpg  

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Andy, I really appreciate this post and am glad I read it!! Yours is living proof that bolts/nuts (ss) are better than rivets and will NOT hurt the fiberglass! *8 years*! And yes, I realize that you can "clamp down" with the bolts enough to literally destroy the fiberglass beneath it if you dont know what you're doing. (But in that case, in my opinion, you shouldnt be doing the task anyway! ) Then the naysayers come saying how the FG will crack etc. Yes! If you dont know how to install the bolts as another poster already mentioned!

I've posted in several of the "Rivets" topics of how my closet rivets came loose and let my Scamp leak. I replaced the rivets with #10 SS bolts and locknuts and have never had another loosening problem OR leak! I used nyloc nuts inside and they resemble the acorn nuts and I never tried to add the "acorns" and so far, no one's ever noticed. (See link below)

Again thanks for posting your real-life experience of how much better bolts/locknuts are than rivets and PROOF.

Here's a link to my fix.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57633366995497

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy vaughan View Post
Quick update, just in case anyone cares or is wondering.. Back in 2008, I replaced all rivets with stainless steel machine screws, stainless flat washers, neoprene washers (inside AND outside), and stainless acorn nuts .. and have experienced ZERO structural failures, nor leaks. The most annoying thing is loosing an acorn inside as it rattles loose. Otherwise spent the last weekend in lots of rain and STILL no leaks, even though the neoprene washers on the outside are starting to look a bit weathered and slightly dry rotten (time to reorder and replace, I think its $9 for a box of 100), but again no failures or leaks.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote