rivets, caps, washers and acorn nuts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
somewhere in this discussion was a reference to using a washer to "spread the load" on the back side of the rivet. You seem to indicate that the acorn is truly decorative, so what replaces the washer in "spreading the load"
Nothing - just whatever the interior part is of the sandwich. For instance, my Boler cabinets are held up by small steel angle brackets - the rivet goes through the fiberglass and the bracket and the tail of the rivet is pulled against the bracket.

Quote:
It seems that you could have both, a washer and then on top of that the acorn.

However the acorn appears to actually prevent the rivet from spreading out as it normally would, and thus having even less surface area holding the back side in place.

Or perhaps I am not visualizing the process correctly.
I think you understand this well. If both a washer and an acorn nut cap are used, then I assume there must be a gap between them for the rivet body to swell into.

Since most - perhaps all - of my Boler's rivets are out of sight (such as in cabinets), I doubt I would bother with the acorn nuts if I were replacing any rivets.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
To avoid the need for that dab of sealant (or even the cup and cover assembly), you can use closed-end rivets. They don't have a hole right through the middle of them.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-50443.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-42142.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...html#post67672 (post #31)
Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #23

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
In the Scamp, the rivets (acorns) are in plain sight. Instead of curving the lip of the cabinet up behind (inside) the cabinet, they curve it out. Then they put the rivet through that, the rat fur and on out to the outside of the Scamp.

Probably easier to assemble that way but not so pretty as if they were riveted on the inside of the cabinet.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Nothing - just whatever the interior part is of the sandwich. For instance, my Boler cabinets are held up by small steel angle brackets - the rivet goes through the fiberglass and the bracket and the tail of the rivet is pulled against the bracket.
Since most - perhaps all - of my Boler's rivets are out of sight (such as in cabinets), I doubt I would bother with the acorn nuts if I were replacing any rivets.
Quote:
In the Scamp, the rivets (acorns) are in plain sight. Instead of curving the lip of the cabinet up behind (inside) the cabinet, they curve it out. Then they put the rivet through that, the rat fur and on out to the outside of the Scamp.
Perhaps I should note that my B1700 - like most but not all examples of this model - has wood (sticks and thin plywood) interior cabinets, not fiberglass. There's no lip on the back of the cabinets at all: one leg of the angle bracket is screwed to the cabinet side wall or bottom framing, while the other leg is riveted against the fiberglass shell. In this design, it's just about as easy and much nicer looking to put them inside the cabinet, and there is no fiberglass moulding challenge as there would be with an inward-turned lip.

I do understand the desire for a nice finish on the ugly end of an exposed rivet. Nuts and bolts (instead of rivets) would automatically achieve that, if acorn nuts were used... but that's a controversial choice.

I wonder if a decorative cap that slides on the rivet after it is installed, held on by a bit of adhesive, might be an option? The challenge is that the tail of a pulled rivet is irregular in shape.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

I wouldn't even momentarily consider replacing a rivet just because the nut fell off. Glue the nut on if you would like...
Hummmm the rivet expands inside the acorn nut and should the nut break off normally one can just push the rivet through the fiberglass as the nut was what was holding it in place..... or at least on my Scamp thats the case.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
How did you mount that? I am not finding mounts that hang from above, rather they all seem to mount to the wall behind the tv. I am about to do something really ugly and crude.
Here you go. The mount stays on the TV but its a simple click & slide off to take down. Purchased it online. The nice thing is you can hardly notice the TV mount section that is left when you take the TV down.
Attached Thumbnails
09-10-10 20_34_DSC0109.jpg   09-07-10 20_48_DSC0079.jpg  

Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #27

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Thanks!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Hummmm the rivet expands inside the acorn nut and should the nut break off normally one can just push the rivet through the fiberglass as the nut was what was holding it in place..... or at least on my Scamp thats the case.
The rivet body expands in the nut but that doesn't pull the nut up against the part being held, so that had better not be what is holding anything in place.
In any case, if the rivet has actually snapped (rather than just the nut falling off) then of course the rivet needs to be replaced.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #29

Has anyone tried putting a deep cap nut on the exposed end of a rivet after installation, rather than messing around with an acorn nut during installation? I've never used these this way... it's just an idea.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #30

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
The rivet body expands in the nut but that doesn't pull the nut up against the part being held, so that had better not be what is holding anything in place.
In any case, if the rivet has actually snapped (rather than just the nut falling off) then of course the rivet needs to be replaced.
I was going to post this observation but Brian beat me to it. The nut doesn't snug the joint up the way a backing washer would. But it can (depending on how close the rivet OD is to the nut ID somewhat restrict the amount the rivet swells. The softer aluminum of the rivet "flows" between the threads in the nut. The next issue to consider is how tight the fiberglass hole is to the rivet's swollen OD. If you oversize the hole then loss of the nut can allow the rivet to pressed back out the hole because the nut restricted the amount of rivet swelling.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Thanks!
Your welcome. Its called a PDR Under Cabinet Mount. A bit pricey but the ease of use & aesthetics when the TV is not in place makes it worth it.

There is an old thread you may want to check out with lots of photos of other types of holders some for larger TV's as well: Television Mount

Tags
scamp