Rivets, rivet caps, rivet gun - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I've never had a rivet pop in my 2002 Casita. However, some of the rivet caps are getting a bit chalky. I need to buy some new caps. Also, as I take my Casita down many gravel roads to remote National Forest campgrounds, I assume it's only a matter of time before I get a rivet pop.

Where's the best place to buy rivets, caps, and a rivet gun? Also...instructions on how to replace rivets.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Casita will send you an assortment of rivets and caps for a reasonable price. There are other sources--Ace hardware has rivets, for instance. The rivet tools are not difficult to find at hardware stores, home improvement stores or RV stores. The diameter and reach length of rivets needs to be matched carefully to the application. I found the small rivets easy to use, the large ones more difficult.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I don't know about Casita, but some of the Yahoo Scampers, who have built things like experimental aircraft, have pronounced the Scamp rivets as top-quality items (I would presume Casita, having started as a split-off from Scamp has followed suit in this regard, but who knows?). Off-the-shelf rivets may not be as good -- There are rivets and then there are rivets...

Were I you, I would be inclined to get Casita's selection for both quality and size.

Should be lots of info in the archives about 'replace rivet cap'.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I've never had a rivet pop in my 2002 Casita. However, some of the rivet caps are getting a bit chalky. I need to buy some new caps. Also, as I take my Casita down many gravel roads to remote National Forest campgrounds, I assume it's only a matter of time before I get a rivet pop.

Where's the best place to buy rivets, caps, and a rivet gun? Also...instructions on how to replace rivets.
For on-the-road and perhaps even all-purpose repairs you might be better off with stainless steel nuts & screws. You can buy 3/4", 1" and 1-1/4" 10/32 stainless steel screws, washers, and cap nuts at most well-stocked hardware stores, then you don't need any additional special hardware, just your standard screwdrivers, wrenches, and someone to set the screw from the outside while the person inside tightens the acorn nut from inside.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
http://www.pro-dec.com/ Here ya go for the caps, If ya were in my neighborhood I'd give you enough to do your trailer, I ordered 1000 of them and have given bunches away at the rallies and get togethers we attend. Just a fun thing to do. When the subject comes up and I pull out a 2 lb 7 oz coffee can full of caps everyone gets a big laugh

Peter, I would think twice about using screws to replace the rivets, although they hold better, when they do let go it will take the fiberglass with them, thats why they use aluminum rivets instead of stainless also.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
<bump>

Why am I not surprised that a google search for "+rivets +caps" brings up fiberglassrv.com at the top of the list.

Dumb question... I still haven't used rivets yet, but will be giving it a go soon.

What type of rivet caps (looking at a supplier such as pro-dec.com)... are people using ?

HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
in their catalog its called a snap however, I didn't order the bottom part as I wasn't replacing rivets just caps

Snap Caps
Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Just got my order of cap's/snap covers/ buttons............ The parts guy knew what I wanted. $1 a dozen............ Easy Breezy! Just called last friday afternoon and they got here yesterday. I had some other things to get as well. I ordered 7 dozen. They were very helpful, so you might want to just call them. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote