Roadside assistance recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Thumbs up

During the time that my Ford Focus was under warranty I was covered by the Ford Roadside assistance program and I loved it! I used it to get a flat tire changed in Zion National Park, to get a jump when I left my electronic cooler plugged into my car socket overnight, and to open my car doors when the keys were locked inside (more than once!). I loved having a toll-free number that worked anywhere and the assistance was there in less than an hour every time. And it never cost me any out of pocket expense.
Unfortunately, Nissan does not have such a service (almost makes me think of trading my Frontier for a new Escape!). My State Farm coverage requires me to find the service provider myself and then go to the agent for reimbursement. I've heard some horror stories about AAA (my elderly father waited hours by the road after a passerby called AAA-he doesn't have a cell phone- until a state trooper stopped and called again for him)

I want to find a good roadside assistance provider that will do what my Ford coverage used to do:
toll-free number
quick response
no out of pocket expense
yearly billing of less than $100 (of course, Ford was "free" with purchase)

Does anyone have experience with a good provider? I am looking at the Good Sam program, it sounds good but does it live up to the claims?
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Anne... Up here on the North Shore if my battery needs a boost there's probably lots of others in the same condition. Same thing if I'm stuck!!!
I believe there are horror stories from all "Rd. Side Asst." programs. I have been a member of CAA/AAA since 1968 and still am even tho my wife's '05 Taurus came with Fords plan!!! Going to get their RV. roadside plus coverage too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm still on Ford's plan. The only thing I've heard about Sam's Club is the amount of Spam one will receive from them if you join.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
During the time that my Ford Focus was under warranty I was covered by the Ford Roadside assistance program and I loved it! I used it to get a flat tire changed in Zion National Park, to get a jump when I left my electronic cooler plugged into my car socket overnight, and to open my car doors when the keys were locked inside (more than once!). I loved having a toll-free number that worked anywhere and the assistance was there in less than an hour every time. And it never cost me any out of pocket expense.
Unfortunately, Nissan does not have such a service (almost makes me think of trading my Frontier for a new Escape!). My State Farm coverage requires me to find the service provider myself and then go to the agent for reimbursement. I've heard some horror stories about AAA (my elderly father waited hours by the road after a passerby called AAA-he doesn't have a cell phone- until a state trooper stopped and called again for him)

I want to find a good roadside assistance provider that will do what my Ford coverage used to do:
toll-free number
quick response
no out of pocket expense
yearly billing of less than $100 (of course, Ford was "free" with purchase)
Does anyone have experience with a good provider? I am looking at the Good Sam program, it sounds good but does it live up to the claims?
The Good Sam Tow Service is outstanding. They cover your trailer, plus personal vehicles. I believe personal vehicles are restricted to two, but I cannot recall. All for approximately $100.00 per year. I have used their services on two occasions. Each time they were outstanding in service. They have an 800 number and will answer the call immediately. They take your information on the location, locate a tow service and then call you back within minutes. They provide the identity of the tow service, their direct telephone number and a contact name. Also the expected time of arrival (ETA). After one hour from time of truck dispatch, Good Sam Tow Service calls you to check on the arrival or progress with the tow company. I was a member for several years, when I had a large truck and fifth wheel. You can't beat their service. I now rely on AAA for tow service. Their policy on towing a trailer connected to the tow vehicle is a "gray area." Depends on who you talk to at AAA, as to their policy on towing the combined units. Generally, they claim they will tow the two units connected, but not just a trailer. Get your call in to Good Sams Tow Service for subscrition. You will not regret it.

PS: I do not own any financial interest in the tow club! Just sharing a positive experience history with you.
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
We have Good Sams Emergency Road Service (ERS). They know that you are towing a trailer (or in an RV).

The problem that we, and others, encountered with AAA "Enhanced Towing Version" was, in many---particularly remote---areas, AAA doesn't contract with a nearby towing service that is capable of moving both your TV and your trailer. So your trailer sits there while you make other arrangements---AAA will of course reimburse you, but only for a limited, probably inadequate, dollar amount. We found this out the hard way after we started trailering. That's why after 30 years with AAA, we switched several years ago to Good Sam.

I believe you still must "join" the Good Sam Club before you can purchase the ERS. (First year is $19, renewals are exorbitant $29.95)

If you're not going to be traveling in the boonies, AAA is probably just as good---and we love their free maps (which I can still buy for a paltry sum at the local AAA office).

Yes, the bad with Good Sam, is the amount of mail you start to receive from them. After joining, go to their web site, and OPT-OUT of everything you can. That will help, but you will still get more than you want. Good Sam rivals AARP in the amount of forests they destroy while manufacturing paper.

Allstate insurance also has a club, but my honest Allstate broker told me he'd had the same complaint as I had about AAA, so didn't further consider that one.

That being said, they are all pretty expensive IMO. If they would only give you a discount after "you've been a good-boy driver for a few years", like the insurance companies do!

If you are new to Good Sam Road Service, I believe the first year is discounted, but you will pay more when you renew. My renewal in January was $109.95. (So my total annual cost is about $140, Membership + ERS.)

Good Sam does have a "Standard" ERS plan for $79.95, which many people here would probably find adequate for towing needs. I've edited to add this comparison chart:

http://www.goodsamers.com/benefits/compare..._campaign=Video
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Geoge:

"If you are new to Good Sam Road Service, the first year is discounted, but you will pay more when you renew".

How much more?

I as just checking out their site a few moments ago:

http://www.goodsamers.com/index.cfm?pkgcod...=Partner_Banner

trying to decide which route to go myself. Is there a better alternative? A breakdown with a vehicle is bad enough but one with vehicle and travel trailer means whoever comes to gather you up must also gather and/or tow two.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #7

Trailer: Helite
AAA+

Triple A Plus
They don't just tow you to the nearest mechanic, they tow you up to 100 Miles and you can add the camper to the policy.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Tent
I had Good Sam two years ago, and switched to Allstate RV last year. Similar service, and similar cost. Neither was better than the other for roadside service, but I have never had to tow with the camper (we usually camp with our 23 foot Roo). Both will tow either vehicle or vehicle and camper.

I have unfortunately needed to call both multiple times but only for the SUV or Truck. Both answered quickly, dispatched a appropriate tow truck (Big flatbed), and followed up, and the truck arrived when they said it would.

For Good Sam road side we joined good sam club as well (didn't have to but it is the same cost either way). Allstate RV includes a full year at KOA.

I figured this year I would go back to good sam as a "new" member, and switch next year back to all state. Both seam to offer discounts for the first year, rather than encouraging people to stay with them.

By the way no spam from Allstate RV, just renewal notices at appropriate time.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Quote:
If you're not going to be traveling in the boonies, AAA is probably just as good---and we love their free maps (which I can still buy for a paltry sum at the local AAA office).

Yes, the bad with Good Sam, is the amount of mail you start to receive from them. After joining, go to their web site, and OPT-OUT of everything you can. That will help, but you will still get more than you want. Good Sam rivals AARP in the amount of forests they destroy while manufacturing paper.
The boonies is where I spend most of my travels!! My dad's experience was on a long stretch of two-lane in central Texas. And the only thing I hate more than spam is gridlock!

So I checked the three sites mentioned here: AAA, Allstate, Good Sam's.

Prices:
AAA-RV = $159/yr + $10 new member charge (yes, they will tow up to 100mi, but the one time I needed a tow it was on a lonely stretch of 395 in CA high desert. It was a long way to Barstow...)

Allstate-RV = $99.99 for first year - they have a trip planning service like AAA

Good Sam's = $79.99 for first year of Std plan. I don't need family coverage or multiple vehicles or the "Technical Advice" feature (isn't that what FRV is for?) of the higher level plan.

I like Mike's suggestion, I will "try" each service for one year at a time and Good Sam's wins the first year! Like Alf, I have often been helped by others when in distress, but that didn't get me a tow in the high desert or get my rusted-on tire loose in Zion! So as a traveling single I will feel more secure with good roadside coverage.

Thanks for all the great feedback!
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I use good sam Rv, and have never had a problem they couldn't help me out with. Because I live in the north, I pay for the platinum package which is still cheap compared to CAA and it covers all my vehicles, and any I borrow including Rv's and Motorcycles . CAA had their price up to almost 250.00 the last time I priced them out, and didn't offer nearly the same coverage.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
I like Mike's suggestion, I will "try" each service for one year at a time
[b]Way to go!
Not wishing you any hard luck or breakdowns during your travels, but we'll all look forward to your "Consumer Report" in two or three years! Yea, Anne!
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check out the following:

Will they tow you a limited amount of miles free then charge for each additional mile.
Will they tow you free to the nearest repair facility.
Will they tow you up to 100 miles as AAA+ does then a per mile after that.

The fine print is really important to read and understand.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
I have had the CAA in Canada, paid extra for the RV coverage, then paid the extra charges when the tow truck arrived at the nearest repair facility because I had to have the tow vehicle moved to another shop because the tranny tech was sick at the first shop. They also would not take passengers in the tow truck.
I joined Good Sam ( not Sam's Club, which is a Walmart Afilliate) and was a basic member for about five years, then was invited to become a Charter Life Member of the organization . I took advantage of this, and my membership fees have been paid for as long as I live. I recieve my Highways magazine every month, with a lot of valuable and interesting articles in it for no cost. I also recieve periodic mailings offering me the Interstate Exit guides and other handy publications at discounted prices. Usually half price from what you will pay at Rv dealerships, book stores etc. I have had ERS road service since 1997 and have used it for personal vehicle problems, transmission failure on one vehicle, lockouts and tire problems on numerous occasions. Once while travelling through the Rogers Pass in British columbia, we blew a trailer tire, and found that our spare was low on air. Good Sam sent a truck out from Golden BC about 36 miles to inflate the spare and he also checked the torque on the wheel nuts to ensure that I would get to my destination safely. Two summers ago My son was pulling his trailer with a minivan when the fuel pump failed. Good Sam sent out a tow truck to take his vehicle to a service shop and sent another pickup truck out to retrieve his trailer, and they towed it to a Good Sam campground in Merritt BC and helped his wife set up and level the trailer before leaving. All at no cost to him. Good Sam is so much more than ERS, The discounts on campground fees (10% or better) and the courtesy discounts given to Good Sam members at most RV dealers and parts suppliers more than offset the annual club membership fees each year. I think you have to look into Good Sam chapter activities also, and see if CAA or AAA have anything comparable?
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote