Roof Air and Honda 2000 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I did a couple of searches and can't find this specific question dealt with. I now have the 2006 17 foot Liberty Deluxe with the 9000 Series Roof Air Conditioner and I'm wondering if my Honda 2000 will run the AC?

Does anyone have the same setup and know the answer to my question. I can actually try it, but I'm anxious to know. Besides it's snowing right now in Denver and I don't need it.

Thanks,

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #2

Quote:
I did a couple of searches and can't find this specific question dealt with. I now have the 2006 17 foot Liberty Deluxe with the 9000 Series Roof Air Conditioner and I'm wondering if my Honda 2000 will run the AC?

Does anyone have the same setup and know the answer to my question. I can actually try it, but I'm anxious to know. Besides it's snowing right now in Denver and I don't need it.

Thanks,

Keith
You will have no problem as a matter of course.

Since you will likely need it only at lower elevations, where it is hotter, there will be lots of air density and the 2000 will have plenty of poop. As you get to higher elevations where the air is thinner it may not have the power to keep up but then the higher you go the less likely you are to want air conditioning so...

As an example the 2000 ran my 1300 watt microwave at elevations below 5000 ft. Above that it petered out as I gained altitude. So I changed out the Microwave to 800 watt.

Some people re-jet their EU for different elevations but I'm afraid I'd forget change the jet back and burn it up.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Keith,

Your Honda 2000 should be able to run your A/C unit, but I would suggest that you buy and install a hard-start capacitor to replace the existing capacitor on your A/C unit. Its only about $38.00 with shipping and it is a simple basic hand tool part swap to change out. Comes with good directions too. It will help relieve the starting surge which makes most generators balk when you first turn the A/C on. (An electric motor draws approximately three times its normal running current during the initial start-up. This could, and has, caused many a generator to stop running due to this initial start-up overload.) It will save a lot of wear and tear on your $1,000 generator. I installed one on on my A/C unit, and my Honda 2000 loves it.

Here is a link to the site where I bought mine. Its well worth the investment.

Supco SPP6E Super Compressor Boost Hard Start Capacitor. (Make sure you get the "E" model!)

http://arnoldservice.com/compressor_...t_boosters.htm

Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #4

Registry
Here is a picture of the capacitor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPP6E_20Super_20Boost_20all.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	19444
Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #5

Thanks to both of you for the helpful input. I checked out the Hard Start device and that looks like a good investment. I'm probably being overly concerned because my Honda 2000 ran my AC on the 2000 Liberty Casita I had and even handled the 21 ft Bigfoot AC, but I just want to make sure. I'd hate to wreck a $1000 Generator or the AC.

Thanks again.

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Greg,
FYI That page you linked says The SPP6E will not work on 110 volt window units or air conditioners.

Just thought I would let you know.

Bill K

[quote]Here is a picture of the capacitor.

Attachment 19444
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #7

Registry
Bill,

I see what you are referring to, however, these trailer units are not window units, so that really doesn't apply. This is the correct model, and is currently being used by myself and many other trailer owners with great success. If you still feel that it won't work, just call or email them and ask. They're really good and quite knowledgable about their products and are happy to answer any questions you have. This particular item, used by a lot of us for quite a while now, has been extensively reviewed and lauded on Gene Layton's Casita website, where it has been a hot topic for a long time.

Hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion. In a nutshell, it will work fine on our 110 volt roof mount A/C units.

Greg

p.s. I cut and pasted these specs off the sheet from their website, which clearly shows an operating voltage range from 90-277 volts. I do agree though that their highlighted warning on the first page does make one wonder, until you dig a little deeper. Trust me, I have it and it works just fine.

Supco SPP6E 90-277 volts 88-106uF X 250V 1/2 - 3 hp

And another page from their site with more info on these capacitors...
http://www.supco.com/eclass.htm
Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have a 7000 BTU Polar Cub from Coleman that our 2000W generator will not run (trips the circuit and shuts down the generator). It is not a Honda. Will this hard-start capacitor work with our model of AC? I couldn't find any list of approved devices anywhere that are compatible with the capacitor mentioned.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
When my Honda 2000 and my 2007 Casita 17' SD were both brand new, the Honda would not reliably start and restart the roof air-conditioner. Did some testing and comparison with my Yamaha 2400. Installed a hard (aka soft) start kit and the Honda did a much better job. I believe that once the Honda was broken in a bit and the air-conditioner was used a bit along with the h/s start kit it would be a reliable combination.

You can view the testing, comparison and installation of the h/s kit at:

http://tinyurl.com/2bgjq4

Oh yes … I used the Supco SPP6E Relay and Start Capacitor in that mod.

Name:	300_Hard_Soft_start_kit.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	19450

Don
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Our Honda 2000i runs our A/C without need for the hard-start capacitor.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I went back to the link you gave and this is where I read that it is for
170-277v
This is the same link I copied that said not for 110v conditioner's

Bill K

Name:	SPP6E_Super_Boost_label.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	19463

Quote:
Bill,

I see what you are referring to, however, these trailer units are not window units, so that really doesn't apply. This is the correct model, and is currently being used by myself and many other trailer owners with great success. If you still feel that it won't work, just call or email them and ask. They're really good and quite knowledgable about their products and are happy to answer any questions you have. This particular item, used by a lot of us for quite a while now, has been extensively reviewed and lauded on Gene Layton's Casita website, where it has been a hot topic for a long time.

Hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion. In a nutshell, it will work fine on our 110 volt roof mount A/C units.

Greg

p.s. I cut and pasted these specs off the sheet from their website, which clearly shows an operating voltage range from 90-277 volts. I do agree though that their highlighted warning on the first page does make one wonder, until you dig a little deeper. Trust me, I have it and it works just fine.

Supco SPP6E 90-277 volts 88-106uF X 250V 1/2 - 3 hp

And another page from their site with more info on these capacitors...
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #12

Registry
Bill,

The link you posted for the "label" is not accurate. Again, I have posted for you the link below, which is straight from Supco's website, not some third-party label, but the real info right from the manufacturer.

http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/2006%20HV...tion%202-51.pdf

Kevin A,

Yes, this hard start capacitor, when mounted on your A/C unit, should boost your generator's ability to start your A/C up. I do have one question though...are you sure that your A/C unit's compressor isn't frozen up? The reason I ask is that it is a common problem with some A/C units to have their compressors lock up. Just checking, because if it is froze up (not to be confused with "icing up", just internally seized up), then nothing short of replacing the compressor will help. You may want to have an A/C professional troubleshoot this, or if you are mechanically handy, there is some good information on checking/troubleshooting problems like this on this site.

http://arnoldservice.com/compressor_...t_boosters.htm

Greg
Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I would consult the a/c manufacturer as to the appropriate hard-start kit to add to a particular unit.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The Polar Cub runs just fine off shore power, so it's not frozen up. It just makes our generator shut down. Not a big problem, since we rarely go without 110v power, but I was just just wondering in the event we can't find a powered campsite in the future. Thanks for replying!

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote