Roof Mounted A/C Units - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Triple E Surfside 14 ft 1979
Hi All,
I have a 1979 Triple E surfside, and wondered if it was a good idea to install a small roof mounted a/c unit that weighs about 125 lbs. The camper is in great shape and I use it a lot during the summer. Help!
Butch H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
I can't say for the surmside but nearly all that come equipped with a roof AC have additional roof support to prevent sagging. Most all of the "add in" AC units are installed somewhere on the side walls of the trailer.

I would think it also would be possible to have the AC outside the trailer with the cold air directed into the trailer thru a duct. This would eliminate having to carry it when you don't need it.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe Side Dinette
We just bought our used 16' Scamp Side Dinette and it didn't come with an a/c. It had nearly everything else we wanted. Luckily it was prepped for a rooftop a/c if we decide we have to have a/c. My wife gets hot easily. I already have one of the rolling portable a/c units that has a 6 foot duct to blow the hot air out. I am going to make an adapter for the bathroom window to connect the duct for the times we want to use it. If we think it will be hot, we will carry the a/c in our tow vehicle and bring it out and setting it up only when necessary. I figure we will know after a year of camping how often we will need it and where we need to bring it. It would be nice not to have to have the weight at least some of the time.

John
John Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:09 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Butch
I know it is frustrating when you ask a spacific question on a spacific trailer and you get answers such as this but for what it's worth.
I have a 1980 Boler 13 ft and have a rather large AC unit in roof, Colman 1200... Every one on the RV sites said I was crazy and it wouildn't stand up but the unit was in place when I got it in 2005 and the unit was installed in FL ( we are in Maine)Year of intallation unknown.
After getting so many negative responses on this and another site, a RV dealer told me that all trailers built in USA and Canada were built with the structual integrety to handle a small unit. (this got many of GA-FAW from many members also.......
After wintering with a post inside under the unit to support added snow weight, and useing all last summer original 1/2 sag has not gotten any worse and no signs of stress cracks or leaks in fiber glass.
Colman makes a unit, I believe is a 700 slim-line with weight of around 98#
Gerry teh canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote