Roof Top A/C weight concerns - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: U-haul 13'
Wisconsin
Registry
Roof Top A/C weight concerns

I have been reading many, many posts regarding the installation of window a/c's in a camper. I have a roof top which makes my camper taller than my garage, and therefore I lose all winter in Wisconsin for working on it.
Although the forums gave me great ideas- the real concern is that one thing I saw repeatedly is that certain campers cannot take the weight of a roof top ac- specifically some people mentioned the 13' Uhaul. I currently have a roof top ac on my 13' Uhaul.
It was installed by the former owner who worked at a camper dealer- but I don't see any aftermarket supports for the weight. This was put on about 10 years ago, and I have towed the camper many miles with no problems. Anyone have experience with this weight issue? And does anyone know how hard it is to remove the unit?
If I can fit in my garage without the roof top I would prefer to either remove it permanently or temporarily for this winter.
J.Baumgartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Measure first. I would be surprised if a U-haul would fit, even without the AC. Getting it off would be a job for "two men and a boy" as they say, but could likely be accomplished by "two women and a girl" who have the foresight to rig a hoist and drive out from under it.

On the structure, it probably depends as much on the quality of your suspension and the character of your roads as the strength of the hull. The VTs have some reinforcing in the structure for this, in particular, the Privacy Room has a front wall that projects out near the AC area.

Regards,

Matt
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Baumgartner View Post
I have a roof top which makes my camper taller than my garage, and therefore I lose all winter in Wisconsin for working on it.
- the real concern is that one thing I saw repeatedly is that certain campers cannot take the weight of a roof top ac- specifically some people mentioned the 13' Uhaul. I currently have a roof top ac on my 13' Uhaul.
It was installed by the former owner who worked at a camper dealer- but I don't see any aftermarket supports for the weight. Anyone have experience with this weight issue? And does anyone know how hard it is to remove the unit?
IIRC, some Rental U-Hauls had RV evaporative coolers mounted on their roof, which theoretically the previous owner could have swapped out for your AC. I have a neighbor who keeps his (AC-less) U-Haul in his garage; but he has tall "Barn Doors" and not a 7' roll-up.

I don't think it would be very difficult to remove a roof-top AC unit. It mounts in a standard 14" vent opening.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: U-haul 13'
Wisconsin
Registry
When I built my garage I put in an 8' door which leaves 7'10" for the opening- approximately- I measures tonight during the start of the blizzards and wind.
Camper should roll right in I think it stands under that without ac?
J.Baumgartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I had a roof top AC on top of my 1300 Boler when I purchased it.
It had come up from Florida so I guess they needed it there.
There was a definate sag in the roof where it was so I took it off but the sag was permanenty in the roof now.
In Maine it doesn't get that hot and I installed a Maxi-Fan and park it in the shade and it doesn't get too warm but I remember the AC would make the small space too cold, even on the hottest days.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight