Roof Vent Repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #1

Name: Alison
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Roof Vent Repair

Hi all:

I have a 1980 Scamp 13ft. The pop up roof vent blew off in a bad wind storm. I bought a new one, but it looks like the entire connector piece is gone as well. Any advice on how to repair this?
alidbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
I just replaced my bathroom vent.
One you have established the needed, size and you've sourced one, you need to find out how the old one was attached. Most are riveted, butyl taped with silicon sealant and rivets. Some say a counter sink bit in a drill will remove rivets but I use a dremel tool. Remove old rivets, clean off old glue and tape. Ron a strip of tape on all edges of bottom side of vent flange, poke holes in butyl tape where new rivets go (for lining up with roof top holes) peal tape and apply with hinge facing tongue. Rivet in place and seal with a nice bead all around perimeter and put a glob on rivets too. Crack open a beer. You are done.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you put a caulk on rivets or the perimeter of the vent DO NOT USE SILICONE!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

British Columbia
why not Donna D? What do you suggest? I personally have never ever had a problem with silicone sealant.
I think sometimes people confuse silicone adhesive (glue) with silicone sealant. Why someone would use silicone adhesive for caulking is a wonder.
Lets not forget how the construction industry has been using silicone glue in glass office towers for decades.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The vent cover came off and was lost on the way home with my old Scamp. Luckily only the cover was lost and the aluminum pieces were left so I was able to source what I needed from Scamp. Scamp said they had no other parts for that model of vent so I assume the only recourses are to find or fabricate new pieces or install a whole new (larger) vent hatch. If it is only the channel you are missing I would take a stab at finding a similiar aluminum channel or even fabricating something out of some hardwood. I was successfully replced metal pieces with easier to make at home wood pieces before. Especially on something low stress and low speed like this.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

British Columbia
$40.00 new at Campers world or your favorite outlet.