Round Door Latch Replacement? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: 71 Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Round Door Latch Replacement?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of rehanging my door on my 71 Trillium and would like to replace the latch. The lock is missing and it's rather rusty and stiff. The latch is the older style round unit, 4.5 inch diameter.

I've done some online searching for "round marine latch" however everything that comes up is only 2 inch in diameter. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement latch ?
Attached Thumbnails
20190402_154541.jpg  
tim42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Start searching eBay and it will be expensive. You need to figure out brand and model.

Bargman L400s (not your lock) have been going for $750 or more for NOS locks for example.

I did a quick scan on google for your style lock. I can't find it. I would contact vintage trailer supply inc, they are on the web. They know locks, may be able to at least identify the model.

In my case, I saved a search on eBay. Eventually, someone listed a NOS L-400 at a more acceptable price and I immediately bought it. If you find one on eBay, don't wait! Chances are someone else is looking for one too. For some reason, some buyers out there ponder for a while, allowing others to scoop in. To dally is to be sorry.

For now, I would be cleaning, lubricating and probably treating the rust on your current lock. I use dilute oxalic acid to treat rust on vintage bicycles (I'm a collector/restorer).

The "good news" with a bigger diameter lock is you might be able to fabricate an adapter plate (large diameter) to allow a smaller diameter lock installation. Be careful with the length of the latch assembly, you could need a longer one.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: 71 Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
750 dollars for the door latch? that's insane.

I was sanding down the door today and had a closer look at the paddle latch. It was made my EBERHARD MFG CO of Ohio. They are still around however they don't seem make any round latches any more.

In case anyone is looking the hinges are KASON model 139 with a 1/2 offset.

I like the idea of the adapter plate, that way I can keep the round shape and use a more available paddle handle latch in the same space. It's frustrating how nothing on amazon has dimensions!
tim42 is offline   Reply With Quote