Rust Removal,Naval Jelly, Phosphoric Acid - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Time to Clean up , Wax up for the Nog, need to remove some rust streaks on door, At work we use Phosphoric Acid < or Navel Jelly> This is on epoxy paint coated steel. It removes the gloss. I think it is the only thing that would remove the rust streak on door. then wash and wax. Any suggestions. I did find the rust and have solved that part.
Thanks Taylor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ( 3 trailers 71/ 72/ 73)
Quote:
Time to Clean up , Wax up for the Nog, need to remove some rust streaks on door, At work we use Phosphoric Acid < or Navel Jelly> This is on epoxy paint coated steel. It removes the gloss. I think it is the only thing that would remove the rust streak on door. then wash and wax. Any suggestions. I did find the rust and have solved that part.
Thanks Taylor
I`m not sure if I know what I`m talking about,but my neighbour use to clean the rust looking spots off this motorhome with silver polish.
lynne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Straight CLR, plus a little elbow grease works on the fiberglass on semi's. For the really difficult spots use the CLR with 0000 steel wool. A quick wax job, and it looks like new.

Remember, by elbow grease I don't mean pressure, just time. Moderate pressure is all that's required with the steel wool. Start light, and work up the pressure, I think you'll be surprised how easily it comes off if you started with a good surface.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I use ZUD (from the grocery store, in the "kitchen" cleaning/soap aisle), to clean up the rust in my stainless steel sink. It's in a shaker can like Comet. Might work Taylor, if the rust is still there at the NOG, you're welcome to try the ZUD, it's always in my trailer under the sink.. just remind me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi:Taylor... Try looking for a product called Iron Out. We use it to clean the iron and rust stains from our water softener. My brother used some of it to remove the rust stains from the front window/hdwr & stone guard on his '72 Boler!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
What about magic eraser?
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Thanks I will try the Navel Jelly it should work. Test a small patch first. Time to get the last of the camping in before Monsoon season in Oregon starts.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Get some FSR (fiberglass stain remover) from a marine store. Works great.

on edit: always wear plastic gloves when working with this as it should be very bad on skin. No problems after washing. May take off wax.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Ooo Terry,

Don't use a Magic Eraser on your trailer...I did in a few spots and it made some spots (probably flat spots) that I can't get off...not even when I scrub it with Barkeepers Friend. I've been wondering what those spots will do when I go to use the Vert-Glass.

I'm still a big fan of the Awesome Cleaner from the dollar store...and even more so now that I found the refills at Dollar General.
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I used Navel Jelly.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
FSR is great stuff. I've used it successfully on my sailboat. Of course sometimes you end up with an area thats cleaner than the rest of the boat.

I've seen it at West Marine and Bass Pro.

Naval jelly isn't usually recommended for fiberglass but I expect as long as you were careful to thoroughly flush the area with water you'd be ok.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote