Rustoleum Paint for Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Rustoleum Paint for Fiberglass

Here's an interesting thread on the use of Rustoleum paint on fiberglass vs the use of Brightsides and other marine paints.
Every time you see the word Boat substitute Camper and it'll be fine.

rustoleum boat paint - FiberGlassics® Forums - fiberglassics.com
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #2

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks for the link, I've been looking into painting the outside of mine..... this gives me one more option to look into.
Kurt G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
This is another site by a 'rustoleum painter'. Very detailed and worth reading if your considering this process. This guy really thins the paint to eliminate bubbles and speed drying.

Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
I've seen that one as well. I like his 3 year review. That's what we really need to know...how well will it hold up.

In the FG thread I think the best tip is the use of a piece of glass - held vertical - to test the thinning of the paint.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Last summer I restored an old 78 Chevy 4wd pickup. I got the mechanicals done the sheet metal stripped of layers of old paint and fairly straight but summer ran out before I was really ready to paint.

So I used Rustoleum in approximately the final color and shot a mist coat plus two wet coats. The bulk of the truck was 1 part white, 1 part black and 2 parts silver for an approximation of a silver/gray. The color is OK, but the 'metallic' effect isn't as nice as what a real auto paint might produce.

It did take quite a lot more time to become 'tack free'. Knowing this I sprayed early in the day before the bugs come out in the evening. I was a little cavalier in getting the correct viscosity so got a bit more orange peel than I normally would like, but a quick wet sand with 800, 1000, 1500 then 2000 paper leveled it nicely and a rub out will give as much gloss as one would want.

I noticed that the red color was quite a bit more orange than the label on the can. I think the toxicity is a lot less than specially formulated auto paint as you can hardly smell the stuff, even when you lift your mask while spraying. With a properly set up HVLP gun, overspray and drift are almost non-existent.

I plan to block sand the body this summer to get it real smooth and straight. When time comes to choose the final paint, I may just stop off at Home Depot and use the savings for gas.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Thinned properly and sprayed on ..i've seen some impressive rustoleum paintjobs..It does take long to dry though so a booth would be nice
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 1977 Boler
BTW, Rustoleum is sold in Canada as Tremclad.

<goes to check out that 3 year review...>

Cool, glad to see it's held up. I used the same methods on my Boler, but didn't aim for the same high-gloss finish as pictured above. It looks good and touch-ups should be a lot simpler than if I had it done at a body shop.
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint