RV Antifreeze - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2002, 05:44 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
RV Antifreeze

RV antifreeze is on sale this week (9/24) at Menards ... one of those huge home improvement centers.

The price is under $1.50 ... I think it's $1.42 (but forget, because the ad's not in front of me!)

I'm stocking up. And I suggest all of you stock up also ... including the warm-weather-rubber-inners from Arizona, Nevada, California and part of Texas crowd.

If I gotta buy RV antifreeze, it only stands to reason that y'all should also buy RV antifreeze.

I'll probably pick up 6 gallons ... don't need that much, but I can't pass up a bargain!

Make sure you get RV antifreeze ... not auto antifreeze. You can drink RV antifreeze (and yes, I've tasted it ... a little on the tongue).

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:05 AM   #2

Designer Anti-freeze

Did I ever remember to ask you what you think of the new “designer” anti-freezes? Like Toyota uses their own, which is a different color from regular, automotive anti-freeze....

Old 09-24-2002, 10:51 AM   #3

Margarita green

While purchasing my 6 jugs of antifreeze, I decided to stop by this other store and pick up a couple of jugs of the margarita green antifreeze stuff ... not auto, not rv, but personal antifreeze stuff.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:04 AM   #4

I think this is a serious problem.

From website for Fred Haas Toyota of Spring, Texas:

Quote:
Genuine Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant, with its distinctive [b]red appearance, provides maximum protection without the use of harmful silicates. This formula is extremely durable and because of its compatibility with non-metallic materials, it helps extend the life of water pump seals.

Genuine Toyota Long Life Antifreeze Coolant is the same high quality [b]red fluid that's found in all new Toyotas. Its unique formulation was developed exclusively to meet the specific requirements of your Toyota engine.
Now I know RV antifreeze is [b]pink, not red, or at least that's what I've heard tell. (I never actually use it, as you know.) But making red automotive antifreeze seems like a very bad idea. (And when I first posted my question, I thought the stuff was blue!)

Old 09-26-2002, 01:43 PM   #5

Don't use it!

I am at over 7,000 feet elevation here in Colorado and I have found no use for RV antifreeze.

My Casita 16 only has a 12 gallon tank and I found that it is the only container on board of sufficient size to hold the gin for a few martinis.

Bottled water is good enough for the WC and there is usually a creek around for baithing. (once the ice goes out in July)

The nice thing about this system is that you can balance the quantity of "antifreeze" in your system or the Casitas.

The only problem: The refrigerator is a bit small to hold enough olives.

Augie

Old 09-26-2002, 02:25 PM   #6

Los Olivos

My Italian friend has a bansai olive tree he carries camping with him. He swears fresh olives really complement the taste of the juniper berries.

You could carry one of those little trees in your Jeep ;)

Old 09-26-2002, 09:39 PM   #7

Los Olivos?

The subject of your last message, Los Olivos, reminds me of the town of that name in central California. It is at the southern end of the Foxen Canyon and what you want to get there is WINE!

I used to get it by the case there and they would ship it to my house. Often I was at Vandenberg on business and usually found time to stock up my wine cellar while there. Zaca Mesa and Fess Parker are two of the many vinyards that come to mind. 'Not far from the Peterson Inn in Solvang where I usually called home on my visits.

I don't think I ever had a "fresh" olive though.

Old 09-26-2002, 09:46 PM   #8

Jeep

Oh yea!

The Jeep

I finished what I had to do in installing the new engine. I just took it to Table Rock Off Road today where they say they can hook up the 2000 Cherokee computer to the 1990 Wrangler. Without diagrams I wouldn't attempt it!

I should have everything running Saturday except the AC which will not get the new type of refrigerant for another week.

If everything works I should have a 1990 Wrangler with 19,000 miles on the engine and 25 more horsepower.

I was thinking that if I still lived back east I would just have a pile of rust. Not a spot of rust out here. (not enough oxygen!) I guess that's why they worry about milldew and Casita covers too.

Old 09-27-2002, 08:25 AM   #9

Augie

Augie>>everything running

Well, in my opinion, if the jeep isn't running AND hooked to the trailer, the jeep really isn't running.

Go camping this weekend! You're overdue!

Augie>>12 gallons of gin to balance antifreeze

Ok, since you use your fresh water holding tank for this purpose ... where do you stick the colorful little swizzle stick and straw?

In the toilet and run the pump?

And wouldn't the olives get stuck in the fresh water line?

I think it would be better to use the black water tank for this type of stuff.

You could just hold the little martini glass under the trailer dump valve and pull the handle. Probably have to be pretty quick, because those glasses are pretty tiny.

Just a thought.

Old 09-27-2002, 11:04 AM   #10

Anti freeze

Charles,

2) There are no little swizzle sticks or a straw in a martini

3) I am quick, but my glass isn't that tiny.

C) Olives are stored in the vermouth, not the gin

1) Eventually, everything ends up in the black water tank.

IX) I intend to be going to Zion and Bryce as soon as I get my Jeep back and tested.

13) Shouldn't you be on the road?

Augie