RV wheel covers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Name: anne
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
RV wheel covers?

What's the deal? I mean I get that they protect the wheels, but how necessary are they really? We plan on taking our Scamp out at least once a month, so not letting her sit real long at the storage space. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
azooey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
I vote for necessary!

Take a minute to cover them and use a barrier between the tire and whatever you park it on. The last thing you need is a tire failure due to the breakdown of the rubber.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

Texas
What do you recommend as a barrier between the tire and pavement? We're new to this - thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by azooey73 View Post
What's the deal? I mean I get that they protect the wheels, but how necessary are they really? We plan on taking our Scamp out at least once a month, so not letting her sit real long at the storage space. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Those who embrace the "Logan's Run" approach to tire replacement certainly could not present a rationale for tire covers.
I don't even have a tire cover on my spare, but I must acknowledge that tire covers could reduce UV,weather, and soil exposure while stored.
Also, they could (I suppose) provide shelter for pests and vermin.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #5

Registry
When the egg is in it's nest the tires are shaded and no direct sun light reaches them. The trailer is sitting under shelter on well drained gravel. I don't think it can get any better. We're off using the trailer 4 to 5 months out the year and replace the tires every 5 to 6 years. I don't think I can really justify tire covers.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by azooey73 View Post
What do you recommend as a barrier between the tire and pavement? We're new to this - thanks!
Depends on what type of surface you are parking on? We parked on a concrete slab (our driveway) in full sun.

A small piece of plywood...or the level blocks..looks like legos!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why would plywood be gentler on the tire than concrete? Is this a convolution of "don't store your battery on concrete"?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
concrete is better than dirt, wood is better than concrete, up in the air, covered is best, but that is improbable
Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Any science behind this progression of desirable surfaces, Jim? I do use tire covers to block UV radiation and I paint new trailer tires with that lamp black sunblocker for its alleged benefits in blocking UV. I also wear belts and suspenders and shirt garters and blousing rubbers and rub my rabbit's foot daily. I don't remove weight from the tires out of season but have been known to throw the racing jack under there and rotate them one at a time to a fresh area unsullied by contact with whatever negatives are found underfoot, or undertire in fact. I'd roll the trailer a bit forward and back but the skijump driveway won't allow without hitching up.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Everything I read about rubber, you look at the auto's in museums, they have protection from the cement floor that has some chemical not good for rubber.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #11

New York
The chemicals in concrete adversely affect the rubber compounds in the tires, and can cause them to deteriorate more rapidly.

The UV rays will damage the sidewalls.

Being proactive instead of reactive may save your life or another motorists if you have a tire failure. Of course it's personal preference......but knowing the consequences may make your decision easier.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Being proactive instead of reactive may save your life or another motorists if you have a tire failure. Of course it's personal preference......but knowing the consequences may make your decision easier.
I like the way you think. Camping is dangerous!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Everything I read about rubber, you look at the auto's in museums, they have protection from the cement floor that has some chemical not good for rubber.
since those floors are almost always sealed or painted or both, do you suppose they may be protecting the floor from tire marks?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Seems pretty trivial to slip a couple of pieces of plywood on the outside of the tire. Heck one can even get fancy drill a couple of holes and bungee that sucker in place.

Same with tossing a piece of wood down under the tires and hitch jack. Might be doing some good, or no good, not doing any harm... unless I trip on it.

However if you cover your spare with a white vinyl tire cover you should first wrap the tire in kitchen plastic wrap, dry cleaning bag, or even tin foil (save the tin foil hat comments for the political forums if you please!) If you don't put something between the black rubber and the white vinyl cover in about 6 months or so the vinyl will be stained brown.

Those of us with torsion axles can make a valid arguement for getting some weight off the tires to reduce the compression on the axle torsion rubber.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Instead of spending the money on tire covers, just use a scrap of plywood propped against the tire to block the sun. You can even get fancy and cut it to shape if you want.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #16

Or stack your empty beer cases next to the tire.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Or stack your empty beer cases next to the tire.
Don't you have bottle/can deposit in BC No way I would tie up something like 6 cases of returnables, at $2.40 each to protect the tires.

I need those when I get the next ones so I don't have to pay the deposit. Besides the kids in the neighborhood won't swipe the scrap plywood as quick as the would those cases.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #18

Expert analysis.
I bow to your learned expertise.
Probably plastic Safeway bags, knitted together, would do the trick.
And, they are useless for anything else.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #19

Texas
Wow!! Thanks for all the responses! So it sounds like we definitely need some kind of protection for the tires - while in storage it actually sits on limestone and gravel, so no concrete. But it does get a lot of direct sun. Thanks for y'all's help!!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #20

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I use black leaf trash bags to cover my tires. My trailer has 14' tires. When I travel I take them off and recycle them and use the old bags for the grass clippings. Then I just put new covers on the tires(black trash bags). I even cover the spare cover with a leaf trash bag to protect it from the sun.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote