Sad, sad Scamp demise - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sad, sad Scamp demise

Well, after 10 years of enjoying the wandering life offered by a 13 foot Scamp trailer, and after many, many helpful posts from this forum, I think our Scamping days have ended. 5 or 6000 kms from home and three weeks into a planned two-month wander, someone plowed his half-ton into the back of our home away from home in the state of Maine. Insurance adjusters haven’t made any contact yet, but I think it safe to assume they will consider it a write-off. In anticipation of needing to show the insurance company of the at-fault driver what a ten-year-old Scamp is “worth” (never mind what this accident has done to a trip-of-the-decade), I’d be very thankful for any lists or sites of links to a comparable trailer for sale. It is a 2009 13 foot Scamp Deluxe, hardwood cabinetry, two-burner propane stove, propane heater, 3-way fridge, sink and tap, water reservoir, grey-water tank, bike rack receiver hitch, two propane tanks, LED interior lights, new deep cycle battery, layout option has small cafe table and seats convertible to a couch in front, pantry, jalousie windows, and all in excellent condition. Anything concrete I can use to negotiate with the insurance representative will be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
99A1B69C-6407-44DF-9F60-F7784AC37B64.jpg   DA5CB562-498A-4B6B-B48E-4C1A65A6DC4B.jpg  

Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Sue the bastard! Bummer for you.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #3

Name: Terry
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Wow sorry to see that. Did the Half-Ton truck jockey say any thing, like he did not see your tail lights?

GL on the insurance.
Junkboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Richard Davis... That's a really sad pictorial!!! Can't say "It'll buff out" either. A good boat builder could put "Humpty" together again... but at what cost?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sad, sad Scamp demise

The fiberglass classified site www.fiberglass-RV-4sale.com has the most data, since it collects CL and eBay ads as well as direct listings. It harvests pictures, helpful to gauge condition and equipment. I would go back 2-3 years in the archives at least, since yours is a fairly rare model.

So sad. Agree that it’s repairable, but it will be expensive, and insurance will be quick to write it off.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Gary Roys resurrected a rear ended Uhaul. Just sayin'

CindyL
Old 09-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
It’s too late for this Scamp but for people ordering new, consider the extra set of high brake lights. They cost way too much, but if it can prevent this it may me worth it. Some people even add a flasher to lights like motorcycles use to get the attention of texting idiots.
Attached Thumbnails
56 STROBE.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
It’s too late for this Scamp but for people ordering new, consider the extra set of high brake lights. They cost way too much, but if it can prevent this it may be worth it. Some people even add a flasher to lights like motorcycles use to get the attention of texting idiots.
Agreed. It might not have helped in this case, what with all the idiots texting while driving or some other distraction. People even do live streaming broadcasts while driving! But rear end collisions are very common and anything to reduce the odds of getting rear ended is a good idea. I paid Scamp $95 for my second set of tail lights in 2015 and consider that fairly reasonable considering how much trouble it would have been for me to run wires under the rat fur, etc. But last I knew they don't even offer it as an option on a 13 for some reason I can not fathom. In that case it would have to be a DIY job, but well worth the effort.

As for getting the value.. Jon had the same advice I have.. www.fiberglass-RV-4sale.com
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #9

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I have some data I can send you collected from the fiberglass rv 4 sale site. Please PM me a good email address.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Sad to hear about the rear-ending of your vacation. Same thing happened to me in Nova Scotia going on to Cape Breton Island, rear ended on the causeway. I limped the 1400 kms back home near Ottawa. The insurance people were good. They researched current prices of my particular trailer, a 1981 Trillium 5500. They offered me the going rate from 3 current advertisements. They wrote the trailer off. I bought it back for a very low cost and the rest of the insurance money was spent on an excellent repair by a very good fibreglass guy near Ottawa. We're back in business, heading to the west coast soon. I didn't want that trailer to be lost, not on my watch. The incident was traumatic on several levels but it was all repairable. Good luck with your trailer.
J. Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sad, sad Scamp demise

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Gilbert View Post
They researched current prices of my particular trailer, a 1981 Trillium 5500. They offered me the going rate from 3 current advertisements.
Wow! Three T5500’s for sale at the same time?! That’s got to be some kind of record. So glad you got a good settlement and were able to save such a rare model. Insurers are probably more cooperative in the case of a rear end accident because recovering from the other party is straightforward.

Buyback and a professional repair, a DIY repair, or selling to someone who is willing to take on a project is certainly one option to keep a trailer from being parted out and lost forever. Unless you can do the work yourself, there is some risk of getting stuck with a wrecked trailer no one is willing to work on.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Sorry about your loss. hope everything works out.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Sad to see the damage. It does look repairable, but at what cost? I do see that Scamp offers the bottom of a 13' Scamp in their parts store for $1200. I wonder how much Scamp would charge to fix this if you could get it there?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #14

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Sad to see the damage. It does look repairable, but at what cost? I do see that Scamp offers the bottom of a 13' Scamp in their parts store for $1200. I wonder how much Scamp would charge to fix this if you could get it there?
Probably a good option for the bottom half depending on shipping charges. Then some repairs near the window to finish the shell.

With that damage, it would be good to know if the frame is compromised too.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Sorry to hear that Richard,
And, that is exactly why I decided to add a combination third tail, stop, flashers and directional light above my window. For less than $20 bucks and a hour of work and I was done. Used the rat fur seams to hide the wiring, everything worked out the way I wanted.
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF6641.jpg   DSCF6642.jpg  

DSCF6643.jpg   DSCF6644.jpg  

Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-23-2012 004.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	131648
Extra lights also.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #17

Name: Reinout
Trailer: In the Market
WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Sorry to hear that Richard,
And, that is exactly why I decided to add a combination third tail, stop, flashers and directional light above my window. For less than $20 bucks and a hour of work and I was done. Used the rat fur seams to hide the wiring, everything worked out the way I wanted.
Jack
Great idea: Do you have a write-up (or is there one on the forum?)?
Reinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Follow up on third tail light install.

Check out this post of mine. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Jack

"http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/update-on-my-3rd-tail-light-install-90271.html"

Hope this link works.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #19

Massachusetts
OK don't think that worked

Its under Forum for "mods,alterations & updates

"Update on my 3rd tail light install"

Sorry

Jack