Safe to De-Winterize - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
All this talk about putting a hatch in the tank so you can clean it out makes sense.. because it is about impossible to get the tank full of chlorinated water (with no air space on top) so that the sanitizing solution is in contact with the entire tank surface, and also because some "gunk" can accumulate which is better removed by actually scrubbing it before sanitizing. And if you leave water in the tank, then know that stagnant water will develop slime and algae, and if there is even a little bacteria in the water then it will get worse.

So yes, you can safely drink the water in a properly maintained RV fresh water tank. But properly maintaining it is not as easy as some people may think. Annual sanitizing is the very bare minimum, and many times the way the tank and water is used requires more than just an annual cleaning to have safe water. Sometimes its just easier to use store-bought bottled water which goes through routine checks to make sure it is safe.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #22

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Gordon, you have made a very good point. Only water from a properly maintained fresh water tank is acceptable, unless you want to take a chance. But chlorine does a fairy good job, especially when you consider the water sloshes around when on the road.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Gordon, you have made a very good point. Only water from a properly maintained fresh water tank is acceptable, unless you want to take a chance. But chlorine does a fairy good job, especially when you consider the water sloshes around when on the road.
But how many people drive around with 50-100 ppm residual chlorine in their water tank? Most people leave the rig parked for the required time. And do they also sanitize their white hose? If in doubt, its safer to use water that is doubtless safe.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Camper systems aside, "buying" water, in plastic jugs, seems like such a waste to me. Whoever marketed this idea was brilliant...in the evil genius sort of way.

If you don't want to drink your tap water, buy some sturdy, thick plastic jugs, and either buy yourself a water purifier for your home (will pay itself off eventually in not buying all that walmart water), or fill it at the purified water station in your grocery store. Most of them have one now.

Personally I avoid drinking my tap water and my camper fresh water. I fill the fresh water either from a house or at the spigot at the dump station, then I fill reusable 3-gallon jugs at a local spring for drinking. I do this all winter, even when I'm living in a house. Compared to Flint, or 3rd-world countries, we are very, very lucky in that we can turn on a tap anywhere and drink water that won't kill us.

But looked at in terms similar to Maslow's Hierarchy, once you have drinking water that won't instantly make you sick...then you can worry about water that won't cause chronic issues over time. Then once you have that, you can worry about getting really pure water. Which I wouldn't consider anything in walmart stored in cheap plastic to be, no matter what they tell you. But my living standards are high enough that I can be snobby like that.

My camper water system doesn't really scare me, it's just that I can't fill it with the spring water I like to drink.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My water is all filtered at a brewery.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Your coffee must taste... interesting!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Your coffee must taste... interesting!

Yup. Forgot about that. It comes from the fresh tank, poured through a Melita filter.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #28

Tennessee
Sorry, double entry. I deleted this.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #29

Montana
That's the way they used to do it! Right?

People drank wine and other alcoholic drinks pretty much all the time, because the alcohol killed pathogens in the water.

That would have been a tough time for me...I guess you get used to it.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #30

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
But how many people drive around with 50-100 ppm residual chlorine in their water tank? Most people leave the rig parked for the required time. And do they also sanitize their white hose? If in doubt, its safer to use water that is doubtless safe.
We're probably one of the few. However, we rarely drink the water from our camper. Instead we carry two gallon jugs and fill where we feel the water is potable and tasty. We do boil the water for our coffee, so it comes out of our tap. We also taste the water before it goes in our tanks. A month ago, the water at Kartchner Caverns State Park tasted terrible so none went in the tank. Yes, we travel down the road with our fresh water tank full, and we've yet to go to two parks in a row with bad water (we're cursed now!).

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #31

Name: Barrett
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
i liked this thread
lots of good pointers from the experienced trailer skippers around here
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #32

Montana
I also always use a camco inline filter for the hose when I fill my water tank. If nothing else, since a lot of times I'm filling with well water, it filters sediment that could clog the system or water pump over time.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #33

Tennessee
I use a Culligan RVF-10 Exterior RV Drinking Water Filter. This is not used to pump in untreated water into the trailer fresh water tank, only water that is acceptable for human consumption. My main objective is to remove sediment to protect the water pump.

I never use the hose at the dump station to fill my fresh water tank.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #34

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I never use the hose at the dump station to fill my fresh water tank.
That's a very, very good call. I'm amazed at what I see people in line ahead of me do...

I had heard the term "frost free" when it came to water spigots for a while, but never thought too much about it. Finally at the dump station one day, a guy came over and warned me that the previous Rv'er had shoved the water hose way up his black water tank to flush it. He figured there was a chance that when he turned it off, it could have actually sucked some of the waste back down into the spigot, since, he informed me "how do you think it stays frost free?". It keeps from freezing by reversing flow once you shut it off, so there's no water left in the line.

I have my own hose, and the inline filter. I'd prefer not to fill my tank at the dump station at all, but it's my only option most times.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #35

Name: Chandler
Trailer: Casita
Utah
Well this thread has really gone off the rails.
We ended up getting a bit more of cold snap, so I've decided to hold off de-winterizing this week.
Water heater doesn't look like it has any issues, but I won't really know until I can drain my antifreeze and get water running through it again.

As far as drinking water from the fresh tank...
I used plastic jugs as a tent camper for the last 12 years, so using the fresh water tank isn't a debate for me. I'm filling up my water bottles from my sink and there is no amount of germophobia that is going to talk me out of it.
elswenso89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #36

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by elswenso89 View Post
Well this thread has really gone off the rails.
If you plan on sticking around, get used to it!

Yup, everyone does what they're comfortable with. We're lucky to have very good tap in water in this country, in general.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #37

Name: Chandler
Trailer: Casita
Utah
pulled the anode today. After a good amount of calcium came a torrent of water. I am kind of blown away how much water was in there.

I’m going to order a new anode now, does this level of deterioration seem low, medium, or high?
Attached Thumbnails
0C2E56A5-18DF-4899-8959-940C142DEE48.jpg   BD0DD43A-92E4-4109-A76F-518E8A0DE589.jpg  

E445CFEB-E36A-4B41-A94D-7E4EA0D047DA.jpg  
elswenso89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #38

Low, say I. New ( left ). Replace ( right ).
Attached Thumbnails
Good anode bad anode.png  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #39

Tennessee
What Glenn. It is supposed to corrode: It is a sacrificial device, so let it do its job, completely. On the other hand we go out for 4 to 6 months at a time, maybe longer, and I do not want to have to worry about changing it out on the road so I sometimes don't follow the advice given here....