Safe to De-Winterize - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Name: Chandler
Trailer: Casita
Utah
Safe to De-Winterize

Hello,

I'm taking my first trip of the season this year. Last fall I disconnected the battery and put antifreeze into the system. I bypassed the hot water heater, left the rod in, and opened the pressure valve.

We are still having overnight freezing conditions, but hitting 40s-50s consistently each day.

My destination this weekend will freeze at night with high-30's low 40's forecasted.

I'm wondering, is it safe to flush out the anti-freeze and begin using the fresh water tank for drinking water, or should I keep anti-freeze in the fresh water system, and only use it for the toilet?

Currently, there is 'pink water' in my grey, black and fresh tanks.

What would you more experienced owners do?

elswenso89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You did not drain your water heater?

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #3

Utah
Only through the exterior pressure release.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by elswenso89 View Post
Only through the exterior pressure release.
Opening the pressure relief valve does NOT drain / winterize your water heater , it only releases pressure
You need to remove the anode rod to drain your water heater and set the water heater bypass valve to bypass .
If your trailer was subjected to freezing temperatures you have probably damaged the water heater by leaving it full of water .
The Casita owner’s manual tell you how to properly winterize your trailer
We don’t dewinterizing our Casita until June 1st when Winter is over .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
OH NO. If the temperature is going to get below 32F something will freeze. Or if the temperature get up to 32F ice will start to thaw.

FYI... I have lived in a area what generally gets above 32 during the day and haven't had a freezing problem in 14 years. We've traveled to areas where the air temperature was 5F low at night and in the teens for a few days. No freezing problems.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #6

Utah
ok. i've ordered the wrench necessary to remove the anode. Might be posting a "help me fix my broken water heater and tank" thread soon. wish me luck.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #7

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Assuming nothing was damaged over the winter, if it were me, I'd definitely de-winterize and use the water system.

But even if you're tough when it comes to cold temps, I'd set the heat on the lowest setting overnight. If the lows get into the 20s and highs only the 30s, things will progressively get colder and some length of water line could freeze. If you keep the interior at 50 every night, and crank it up to 65 in the morning when you get up, and again at night before bed, you'll be set.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #8

NW Wisconsin
I don’t know if you have the dual fuel ( Propane / Electric )water heater , my 2013 Casita does . Make sure the electric to the water heater is shut off before removing the anode and draining the tank .
The electric unit switch for the water heater is accessible by opening the outside cover . The switch is in the lower left hand corner behind the burner tube ( Not visible from the front ) The switch is reversed so push the top of the rocker switch in to disconnect power.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes if you didn’t drain the hot water heater you didn’t winterize. The anode should be pulled and inspected anyway as they are meant to wear out.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Hello,

I'm taking my first trip of the season this year. Last fall I disconnected the battery and put antifreeze into the system. I bypassed the hot water heater, left the rod in, and opened the pressure valve.

We are still having overnight freezing conditions, but hitting 40s-50s consistently each day.

My destination this weekend will freeze at night with high-30's low 40's forecasted.

I'm wondering, is it safe to flush out the anti-freeze and begin using the fresh water tank for drinking water, or should I keep anti-freeze in the fresh water system, and only use it for the toilet?

What would you more experienced owners do?

You can do what you want but I would NEVER drink from an RV fresh water tank ! That's what gallon jugs of water are for.
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #11

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
You can do what you want but I would NEVER drink from an RV fresh water tank ! That's what gallon jugs of water are for.

Statements like this are of little value if no valid reasons are given.

What did people do before gallon plastic jugs? Is the fresh water tank not made of food-grade plastic? What is the source of your gallon jugs?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #12

NW Wisconsin
We use the water from our fresh water tank for drinking , cooking and cleaning
If your fresh water tank is clean , I see no difference than using gallon jugs for fresh water . The paranoia over using the on board water tank has always puzzled me . If it’s not suitable for its intended use then why drag it around with you ?
What does using your fresh water tank have to do with the subject matter of the Op’s Post ?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #13

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:

There shouldn't be any water in your tanks. Dilute antifreeze is ineffective.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #14

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
In this case it sounds like the fresh water tank also had anti freeze put into it.. If this is true, while plumbing antifreeze won’t necessarily harm you, it sure makes the water taste nasty.. As such I would flush the fresh water tank quite a few times before drinking the water that comes out of the taps.. The water will be fine for doing dishes, the toilet and probably even washing with - you just won’t like the taste.. In the meantime, bottle up some water from home or get some bottled water from the store ..