Safe to De-Winterize - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Name: Chandler
Trailer: Casita
Utah
Safe to De-Winterize

Hello,

I'm taking my first trip of the season this year. Last fall I disconnected the battery and put antifreeze into the system. I bypassed the hot water heater, left the rod in, and opened the pressure valve.

We are still having overnight freezing conditions, but hitting 40s-50s consistently each day.

My destination this weekend will freeze at night with high-30's low 40's forecasted.

I'm wondering, is it safe to flush out the anti-freeze and begin using the fresh water tank for drinking water, or should I keep anti-freeze in the fresh water system, and only use it for the toilet?

Currently, there is 'pink water' in my grey, black and fresh tanks.

What would you more experienced owners do?
elswenso89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You did not drain your water heater?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #3

Utah
Only through the exterior pressure release.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by elswenso89 View Post
Only through the exterior pressure release.
Opening the pressure relief valve does NOT drain / winterize your water heater , it only releases pressure
You need to remove the anode rod to drain your water heater and set the water heater bypass valve to bypass .
If your trailer was subjected to freezing temperatures you have probably damaged the water heater by leaving it full of water .
The Casita owner’s manual tell you how to properly winterize your trailer
We don’t dewinterizing our Casita until June 1st when Winter is over .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
OH NO. If the temperature is going to get below 32°F something will freeze. Or if the temperature get up to 32°F ice will start to thaw.

FYI... I have lived in a area what generally gets above 32° during the day and haven't had a freezing problem in 14 years. We've traveled to areas where the air temperature was 5°F low at night and in the teens for a few days. No freezing problems.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #6

Utah
ok. i've ordered the wrench necessary to remove the anode. Might be posting a "help me fix my broken water heater and tank" thread soon. wish me luck.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #7

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Assuming nothing was damaged over the winter, if it were me, I'd definitely de-winterize and use the water system.

But even if you're tough when it comes to cold temps, I'd set the heat on the lowest setting overnight. If the lows get into the 20s and highs only the 30s, things will progressively get colder and some length of water line could freeze. If you keep the interior at 50 every night, and crank it up to 65 in the morning when you get up, and again at night before bed, you'll be set.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #8

NW Wisconsin
I don’t know if you have the dual fuel ( Propane / Electric )water heater , my 2013 Casita does . Make sure the electric to the water heater is shut off before removing the anode and draining the tank .
The electric unit switch for the water heater is accessible by opening the outside cover . The switch is in the lower left hand corner behind the burner tube ( Not visible from the front ) The switch is reversed so push the top of the rocker switch in to disconnect power.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes if you didn’t drain the hot water heater you didn’t winterize. The anode should be pulled and inspected anyway as they are meant to wear out.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Hello,

I'm taking my first trip of the season this year. Last fall I disconnected the battery and put antifreeze into the system. I bypassed the hot water heater, left the rod in, and opened the pressure valve.

We are still having overnight freezing conditions, but hitting 40s-50s consistently each day.

My destination this weekend will freeze at night with high-30's low 40's forecasted.

I'm wondering, is it safe to flush out the anti-freeze and begin using the fresh water tank for drinking water, or should I keep anti-freeze in the fresh water system, and only use it for the toilet?

What would you more experienced owners do?

You can do what you want but I would NEVER drink from an RV fresh water tank ! That's what gallon jugs of water are for.
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
You can do what you want but I would NEVER drink from an RV fresh water tank ! That's what gallon jugs of water are for.

Statements like this are of little value if no valid reasons are given.

What did people do before gallon plastic jugs? Is the fresh water tank not made of food-grade plastic? What is the source of your gallon jugs?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #12

NW Wisconsin
We use the water from our fresh water tank for drinking , cooking and cleaning
If your fresh water tank is clean , I see no difference than using gallon jugs for fresh water . The paranoia over using the on board water tank has always puzzled me . If it’s not suitable for its intended use then why drag it around with you ?
What does using your fresh water tank have to do with the subject matter of the Op’s Post ?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:

There shouldn't be any water in your tanks. Dilute antifreeze is ineffective.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #14

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
In this case it sounds like the fresh water tank also had anti freeze put into it.. If this is true, while plumbing antifreeze won’t necessarily harm you, it sure makes the water taste nasty.. As such I would flush the fresh water tank quite a few times before drinking the water that comes out of the taps.. The water will be fine for doing dishes, the toilet and probably even washing with - you just won’t like the taste.. In the meantime, bottle up some water from home or get some bottled water from the store ..
Old 03-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #15

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
In this case it sounds like the fresh water tank also had anti freeze put into it.. If this is true, while plumbing antifreeze won’t necessarily harm you, it sure makes the water taste nasty.. As such I would flush the fresh water tank quite a few times before drinking the water that comes out of the taps.. The water will be fine for doing dishes, the toilet and probably even washing with - you just won’t like the taste.. In the meantime, bottle up some water from home or get some bottled water from the store ..
RV antifreeze is made from propylene glycol
Propylene glycol is used as an ingredient in both food and drinks that are commercialy made for human consumption
I flush and sanitize my trailer’s water system every Spring and have never found any objectionable taste or smell from RV antifreeze

Glenn is correct , diluting RV antifreeze with even a small amount of water significantly reduces its effectiveness .
Old 03-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #16

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
What Glenn and Steve said in #11 and #12 for sure. No good reason to not drink the water after you flush out the fresh water tank. I put a port hole in my fresh water tank so I can reach in and scrub it, but this is not really needed.

And the pink "anti-freeze" does freeze, maybe even solid if it gets cold enough. It just does not expand, which is the salient factor. You need to by pass the hot water tank, blow out your water lines, then add the pink anti freeze. If you have any water in the lines or water pump, when the diluted anti freeze gets cold enough it will expand because of the water in it and result in burst pipes or valves.

You also want the pink stuff in your water traps. Also in your black and gray tanks so the valves won't freeze shut. And a little bit in your toilet bowl to keep the seals wet (with the antifreeze, not water).

And don't forget your battery can freeze if it gets cold enough.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
And don't forget your battery can freeze if it gets cold enough.

You need to drain that water heater too. And:

The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of partial or complete discharged. As the state of charge in a battery decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92.0oF.
Trojan Battery Company

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Su....aspx?old=aspx
Old 03-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #18

Tennessee
Yep, Glenn is spot on. I was thinking of a battery left in a stored trailer. I take my batteries out and keep them connected to a smart charger, but I have talked to people that just walk away...
Old 03-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Statements like this are of little value if no valid reasons are given.

What did people do before gallon plastic jugs? Is the fresh water tank not made of food-grade plastic? What is the source of your gallon jugs?

Well, Glenn, I'll try to add some 'value' for you. It was stated in the first posting:"...begin using the fresh water tank for drinking water..."

The person making the post does not give the year of her camper and for everyone else, have you actually seen the inside of your 'fresh' water tank. Does it have dirt, mineral deposits, or a green algae?? Do you regularly run through your drinking water tank, a mixture of water and Javex (Clorex for the US crowd) to disinfect said water container? Do you know where every drop of water that has ever been in your tank has come from? One tank of bacteria infected water will spread to the next tank and the next and so on.

If you insist on drinking from it, try an access hatch so you can get your hands in and CLEAN it like it was ...Errr, your drinking water:

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-3.../dp/B004RCSKZE

Since you ask Glenn, I really don't know what they used, but a glass container, or wooden barrel comes to mind. Where do I get My gallon jugs? Any grocery store or Walmart will have water for about a dollar a gallon. You have to pick up supplies anyway, why not get water.

And because your rig is new doesn't absolve you of the necessity to clean your tank. It is dirty and whether it was made in the USA or China, it's still dirty. It may be BPA safe but that's only one problem isn't it. Oh wait, I'm old so it's only one issue, there many more!

Mike in NS
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #20

Tennessee
Mike, this is why I put a porthole in my freshwater tank. And where do you suppose bottled water comes from? Some companies use municipal water, hopefully not from Flint, MI. Some bottled water is imported from France. France, one of the most polluted water sources on the planet. Do you drink water out of your faucet at home?

Some people do have water filters in their RV water lines. I use one when I pump water from my house into the RV tanks.

And now that China is no longer accepting our waste plastic, bottled water my become much more expensive...