Sale Prices? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr 1971
Thumbs up

Does anyone have any idea of the price I should be asking for a 1971 Compact JR. In outstanding condition?
Bob Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea of the price I should be asking for a 1971 Compact JR. In outstanding condition?
That's a really hard question. There was one down here where they were asking about $4000 but I don't know if it was sold for that or not. I've seen them (in various conditions) from $600-$4000.

I think if I were buying it would depend on the condition, and whether I wanted the upgrades the previous owners had made. For a 1971 with new tires, AC, a newish battery, new upholstery and cushions and flooring and cabinets and curtains and canvas, a good working 3-way fridge, and a good gel coat or paint job, $4000 would not be too high. Without some of that I'd look at what it would cost to do and lower my offer accordingly.

Here's a link to the Los Osos one, http://slo.craigslist.org/rvs/629856619.html, now at $3800.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
With anything, it's a supply and demand issue. The closer we get to camping season (are we there yet?) the higher the prices and the lower the availability of units for sale.

It could be a marketing issue. Since it's a pop top model, have you measured to the highest point? There are plenty of people looking for trailers that will fit in a garage through a standard garage door opening. Would yours fit through? If it does, this could be a real plus and certainly should be marketed that way... along with all the other outstanding features.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:

Bob, why not take it to the (FALL) Seattle Swap meet in Monroe and slap a hugnormous price tag on it??

Some 'rodder' type will come along and knock the price down to where it MIGHT sell best at. 'WE" car people are always lookin for these cute l'il trailers and ya sure WON'T have far to go to haul it back home IF it doesn't sell. You can even arrange to 'camp' in it there over the weekend and be the envy of other happy campers!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Bob
What would you be willing to pay for it if you were the buyer and not the seller? How high would you go if you were bidding against someone else? What did you pay for it when you got it and is it in as good condition now or does it now need work?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Compact Jr 1971
Quote:
Hi Bob
What would you be willing to pay for it if you were the buyer and not the seller? How high would you go if you were bidding against someone else? What did you pay for it when you got it and is it in as good condition now or does it now need work?
Well, I'm too close to it to say. It has been rebuilt to the point where it is probably rare in the sense that it is the original machine, not altered. It has all the stuff that came with it in outstanding working order. I have wired it for AC and rewired the DC, coated the under carriage.
My guess is that it may be worth a lot more to a collector, but it has to be worth at least $3,000.
Bob Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
There's a 1973, 13ft, BOLER on the Bolerama Forum right now that the owner calls MINT. The asking price is $6700. That's usually in the price range for a 17 footer. Start high, you can always come down to a more realistic price.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Consider an auction site like EBay; set a reserve that's enough for you and see what happens. People sometimes get really carried away in auctions, esp if the item is rare.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
eBay is a good barometer, yes. I doubt you'll find a lot of comparison for THIS model, but my recommendation from being an almost career eBay seller would be to set your reserve at the minimum you will take, and set a Buy It now at just a smidge over the most you THINK folks might pay for it.

Getting outrageous will only put people off, but there are many willing to pay a mildly higher price on a BIN to avoid losing the bid. I have had it happen with my auctions, and do it myself as a buyer sometimes. Pay a little extra to avoid big headaches or pain later. That is an individual thing tho.

What you paid for it should not even come into consideration. What you paid is of no interest to a buyer.. only what it's worth now. You may have paid a penny for it, but that doesn't mean you should sell it for that if it's worth more, and the flip side.. if you paid 50k for it.. doesn't mean your buyer needs to make up for your purchasing mistake. It's worth whats it's worth.. today, and only what it's worth..today.

The only time what you paid matters is if you feel you would take too big a loss on it, and keeping it is the lesser of two financial evils, or when you consider what it would cost you to replace, even if you paid low and sold at a profit.

example. I paid 5k for my 17 foot Burro. Guestimate of it's worth at the time.. avg..7.5k. I could have sold it at a profit easily, but I would have had to turn around and look for another.. that would have probably cost me ... 7.5k.. not worth the hassle as I wanted a trailer, not an investment. I keep the trailer and win.. a virtual 2.5k profit, because I didn't have to lay that out to start with.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
What someone paid for it has not a thing to do with what it's worth. If I find a $20 bill on the sidewalk, should I 'sell' it for less than $20 in merchandise?

Guy is in toilet, uses last of TP in stall. Guy in next stall asks if TP there, his is out. First guy says "Do you have any papers?" Second guy says "Got change for a $20?" First guy says "Only have five ones" First guy says "I'll take them". Later in day, how much should second guy get for the dollar bills left over?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
thanks Pete, for making my point with Toilet Paper (And I wouldn't even give him a dime for the first one)

now go to your room.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote