Scamp 13 wall covering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
Scamp 13 wall covering

After reading all the posts I could find and some experimenting I am ready, almost, to start recovering the interior of my Scamp 13. I settled on Refectix for insulation and auto headliner for the covering, and 3 M Super 90 spray glue. All are available locally.
By any chance are there any cutting patterns available anywhere? I have looked at several sets of pictures and it seems like there is no common thread about how to handle the curved corners. Also, any suggestions about a "molding" to cover the seams?

Many thanks, in advance, for any help or ideas.

Greg
Greg G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
After reading all the posts I could find and some experimenting I am ready, almost, to start recovering the interior of my Scamp 13. I settled on Refectix for insulation and auto headliner for the covering, and 3 M Super 90 spray glue. All are available locally.
By any chance are there any cutting patterns available anywhere? I have looked at several sets of pictures and it seems like there is no common thread about how to handle the curved corners. Also, any suggestions about a "molding" to cover the seams?

Many thanks, in advance, for any help or ideas.

Greg
I don't know which fabric you have chosen, or what it's properties,but Scamp material is available at reasonable cost by the yard, I think it is 54" wide.
Scamp applies it in the recessed part of the ceiling separately, then the ceiling sides, then covers the interface with strips of the same material.
the same method is used on the rounded corners,using vertical strips.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic009.JPG   Pic014.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
What's the white thing do?
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
What's the white thing do?
I'm not sure to what "white thing" you're refering?

Are you talking about the Microwave?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've seen two additional (Ensolite) patterns on different era Bolers (mid- and late-70's). It's hard to describe, but one has the two main "lengthwise" seams right about where the closet top is (they go just under the closet top lip), and the other has them about 6" lower than that and then a crosswise seam about where the sink is. With these two patterns the four seams that come down near the four corners are in slightly different locations as well, but still similar.

I take it you don't have your old insulation for patterns?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
OK! That's what I thought just looked like a strange place to be in.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
I've seen two additional (Ensolite) patterns on different era Bolers (mid- and late-70's). It's hard to describe, but one has the two main "lengthwise" seams right about where the closet top is (they go just under the closet top lip), and the other has them about 6" lower than that and then a crosswise seam about where the sink is. With these two patterns the four seams that come down near the four corners are in slightly different locations as well, but still similar.

I take it you don't have your old insulation for patterns?

Raya
In fact it does have a "liner", made of a witches brew jigsaw of old capet that is useless to try to follow. I wish I did have the old liner, life would be so much easier

Greg
Greg G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #8

Greg,

I hear you. I figured if you had the old liner you would be making a pattern from it, but I just figured I would ask.

It is a bit of a daunting job with no pattern to go by. I think I would look up a bunch of Boler and Scamp photos (even older ones with Ensolite) and look to see where their seams are; that could at least help. The seams are easy to see on the Ensolite since they are taped over or have molding strips on them.

The basic idea is two seams going lengthwise on either side of the roof, and then four seams curving down on the ends/corners.

If you want to do a bit of searching, there was a fellow in Minnesota who re-did a Boler and put in grey automotive headliner. There were quite a few photos. To give you clues, the camper started out green and white and ended up red. The liner was grey and he had two bicycle fork mounts installed to hold bikes on the road (inside, by the rear dinette). He also made a U-shaped seating area in the dinette area.

Raya
Old 10-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hope somebody finds those photos, as I'd like to see them, too!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #10

Well the clues were to help you in searching, but... okay, I just used them to search myself.

Here is one thread; I will add more as I find them.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...red-32422.html

Post #13:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ugh-32681.html

Photo album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/montville/

Raya
Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Raya, you're a doll!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Greg,
I've re-insulated and recovered two projects with reflectix and fabric. I did it without any templates, but used as much of the flat surfaces as possible (minimizing the number of seams) before tackling the curves.

As to the seams, I simply cut my wall covering fabric into strips and covered the backside with contact cement. When dry, I carefully folded the outside edges into the center, which created two new clean edges. This strip was then cemented over the seams on the newly covered walls

I've attached a couple close-ups of the seam strips. They may help.
Attached Thumbnails
SeamDetail.jpg   Seams.jpg  

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp