Scamp 5er--front or side bathroom? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi there.

I've been searching high and low for opinions of a Scamp 5er front bathroom. I see most folks on this forum seem to have opted for the side bathroom; but I like the idea of steps leading to the bed, so I'm leaning toward the idea of a front bathroom. For those who have one--what made you consider that? The layouts make the front bathroom look larger, but does it "work" any better for you?

Also, I've seen a few photos of the teensy side bathroom, but none of the front bathroom. If you own a Scamp 5er with the front bathroom and can take a photo of it and post it, that would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Aaron Borovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Here my front bathroom/with shower.. Mine is a 89 model. so this has the upper part with the formica.. the bottom half is whats called elephant skin ( which i dont really care for) but at least this gives you an idea...

Click image for larger version

Name:	front_bath1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	11730

Click image for larger version

Name:	front_bath_2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	11731
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
There's a lot to be said for either arrangement. If you have a partner who keeps different sleeping hours, the front bath does a great job of creating more isolated bedroom space. A downside, however, is the air circulation into the loft isn't great. Some people have found this to be a problem and have added fans to move the air from back to front.

The side-bath plan does not have a separate, private space, but it does have a much more roomy feel to it. That can be really nice when you're stuck inside on a rainy day. (But then so can separate rooms, I guess.)

Another thing to consider is how comfortable you are in the 6' x (less than) 5' loft bedspace of the Scamp. The 6' tall prior owner of our side-bath 5er found he could only sleep diagonally in the loft, so he either slept alone up their or brought the (slightly wider) dinette berth down and slept there. Lynne and I also found the loft bed cramped, and have completely re-designed the loft end of our trailer so the bed runs front-to-back over what used to be the gaucho sofa/bunk area. We couldn't have done that if we had a front bath Scamp.

--Peter

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you want the best of both worlds, consider the Escape 5th wheel. Large side bath, and a queen-size front to back loft. Bright and open feeling: Escape web site.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I would try to go look at both models and see how it fits to your needs.... I have had both the standard with the side shower and now I have the deluxe... I prefer the deluxe because of the steps. ( easier for an old lady)

Quote:
The 6' tall prior owner of our side-bath 5er found he could only sleep diagonally in the loft
I find this sortta true even with the deluxe... and I am only 5'5" with me and the dog it really doesn't matter tho.

I found the side bathroom.. less head room than the front one too.. but again I would go look if you can find one to see what you like.. I am sure a owner would let you step into his 'parlor' ...

The Escape is one to 'die' for.. if you're planning to purchase a new trailer.. !! Or get a used Scamp and redo it like Peterh did....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Or get a used Scamp and redo it like Peterh did....
or like Nancy & Mike: Scamp Standard ReMods, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Picking the features that suit you best in a trailer is always a balancing act. In general terms I think Escape has the best built and most thoughtfully designed fiberglass trailers. I'm lucky in that I have the skills and patience required to gut and remodel the inside of a trailer, and I've had a lot of fun in the process, but if I wanted to buy one "off-the-lot," I'd buy an Escape 5.

Donna pointed out Mike and Nancy's trailer, which is a class act of its own. Mike and Nancy's mods served as inspiration for both Lynne's and my trailer remodel and in Reace's design for the Escape 5er.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp