Scamp bearing maintenance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Once I had a front brake cylinder stick on a early 70's Chevy pickup on a trip to another state. I could have fixed it myself on the road, but decided to take it to a brake shop.

I watched the guy do the job from a distance and was amazed when he didn't used the truck's hydraulics to push the stuck piston out, but did it on the bench with compressed air and nothing to retain the piston from becoming a missile when it blew out! I knew then that this guy had never done this job before!

Even the boss, when he came out of his office to see what all the commotion was about was completely unperturbed.

That's one of the main reasons I like to do things such as wheel bearing packing myself. It just seems it gets done correctly that way. Take it to a shop and you never know . . . . .
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Floyd,
Please accept my apologies.
I was upset about something not even remotely related to your post and took it out on you.
Again, please accept my apologies.
John
Smilies not withstanding, this is a difficult medium to convey intent. It is I who should apologize for my inability to convey my attitude with my message. I certainly took no offense and meant none.
When writing on here and other places I am reminded of what Paul said about an even more important relationship...

"For now we see through a glass, darkly;but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

These conversations work much better around a campfire at a ScampCamp or fiberglass rally.

I admonish each person entering MFROG to enter expecting to be among friends subject as much as possible to the following quote....

“A friend is one to whom you can pour out the contents of your heart, chaff and grain alike. Knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness, blowing away the chaff .”

It is our fervent hope that your wrist is healed promptly.
In the mean time I encourage you to be undaunted by it's temporary condition.
My wife's cousin lost his right arm past the elbow, and still managed to restore antique clocks and build new ones, even to the point of cutting gears and fitting the intricate mechanisms.
A task best suited to a three-handed ambidextrous contortionist!

HAVE A NICE DAY! See what I mean?

maybe not!
Regards; Floyd
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
For the record, we had a great Scamping trip up in the Sierras over labor day weekend. Over 200 miles each way, up and down some twisty roads and steep grades as well as freeway cruising. I checked the bearings at gas stops and they didn't get hot at all. The new brakes worked well and what a difference they make - stops feel much more controlled now that the 1000 lbs of dead weight back there has its own brakes. Thanks for the help!
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 1995 13 ft
Wilder,
I have a 95 Scamp - if you have seen my post recently, I am looking for some help to find out if 90's era scamps have a arm coming from the axle to the wheel that angles down. Would you mind telling me if your 93 arm angles down? I would appreciate this very much as I am in need of this information to sort out some ordering confusion. Mike
Mike Fing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #25

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Hi Mike,

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean, but I looked underneath and I don't see any angled bar from the axle to the wheel. Everything looks straight and horizontal, right across the axle to the wheel.

Hope that helps
-Wilder
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #26

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Mike,
You have a standard Scamp Torsion Axle.
The axle housing, the portion that is under the trailer and goes from side to side, is filled with rubber that acts as a shock absorber when the wheels travel up or down.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Hi Mike,

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean, but I looked underneath and I don't see any angled bar from the axle to the wheel. Everything looks straight and horizontal, right across the axle to the wheel.

Hope that helps
-Wilder
Thanks for looking Wilder - attached to the axle is a short arm (that's what I think it is called) Without the load of the trailer (starting angle I believe it is called) that arm could be pointed down likely 22.5 or 10 degrees or up 22.5 or 10 degrees. My old Dexter axle is pointed down 22.5 and scamp has sent me a replacement that is 22.5 degrees starting angle up. They claim that all scamp 13's after 1990 had these "up" axles. I am trying to find out if this is true because mine is sure angled down. When you had the weight off the trailer I was wondering if you noticed whether the angle was up or down. With the weight back on the trailer it may be hard to tell. Thanks though for trying, Mike
Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #28

Hi Perry,
The confusion for me is whether all Scamp 13's built after 1990 have the Dexter 22.5 starting angle up for the arm going to the hub from the straight axle. I took off my Dexter for my 95, the 22.5 starting angle on the arm is down. Scamp sent me one with a starting angle up and claim that they were all made like that after 1990. Mine looks original and so I am sure it needs an axle with the arm going down. My RV repairman says the same thing. I am trying to find one other 90 era's Scamp owner that can verify that the starting angle is down. In scamp's own manual on their web site it talks about a Dexter 22.5 degree down. I have brought this to the attention of Scamp Parts, but they stiill insist that all post 90's went up. I don't think this correct. Anyways - my problem and I will sort it out, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 1981 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Volkswagen Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
I'll pick up some Permatex tonight and hopefully get this thing all buttoned up tonight! Thanks for the help....
I'm in the middle of installing brakes for the first time. I'm using a (hopefully complete) kit of retrofit brake add-on parts I bought and just getting to the first drum. What kind of Permatex do I need? Don't they make several types?
Jon W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, wheel bearings