Scamp Door Seal Glue Removal?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp Door Seal Glue Removal??

I'm about to change the open cell foam door seal on our Scamp to the new rib door seal. The original is falling off, but the two-sided tape or adhesive that held it on, sticks to the door frame. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an effective solvent or remover to clean it off? I thought acetone might work, but was informed it can dissolve gelcoat Anyone use naphtha a.k.a. lighter fluid? Turpentine?

Our trailer is in storage so I can't try anything out very easily. I'll probably tackle the job at Scamp Camp in Sebring, FL in February. I know at least 3 others who may be doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
WD 40 or Goof off work well in conjunction with a plastic scraper.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Wd-40

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

Michigan
I have a small can of that in the camper tool box. Another use for a fantastic product. Thanks!

Tom
Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
glue removal

I use a product call Goof-Off. Its great but be careful. Read instructions

Henry
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just stay away from metal scraping tools! Metal can score the gelcoat. I've lost a couple of thumbnails scrapping my Scamp... fortunately they grew back.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I used Goo Gone! You need to make sure you get the plastic strip off first and then let the foo gone soak in for awhile. I recently discovered that vinegar works really well at taking of sticky tags so it may be worth a try as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #8

Michigan
Thanks. I'll pick up some Goo Gone or Goof Off as well. On Amazon the reviews are very similar, and they're both highly rated. I've been using lighter fluid all my life to remove sticker residue, but I'd rather be safe than sorry with our Scamp.

This is the "D" shaped seal that Scamp provided just prior to the new "Rib Seal" on the right. Either one is better than the open cell foam seal they were using, but the latest Rib Seal looks especially promising. Tom
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpeg  
Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
. I'll probably tackle the job at Scamp Camp in Sebring, FL in February. I know at least 3 others who may be doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Tom
What site will you be in/on? I will come over and lend moral support. 😍 I want to change out our door seal on our Scamp 5er. We will be in/on site 2.

Michael

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
GOOD stuff there TomK! Love the new design and wish it had been around when I changed mine out! I'm glad Scamp finally decided to change it and if I understand correctly, they're putting it on ALL new Scamps out the door now??

The most trouble I had installing my door seal was the aggravating plastic strip left behind after removing the sponge. Maybe you guys at the Sebring "Seal-a-thon" will come up with some magic way to remove it. I left part of the strip on mine but after nearly 5 yrs, it's still holding.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Thanks. I'll pick up some Goo Gone or Goof Off as well. On Amazon the reviews are very similar, and they're both highly rated. I've been using lighter fluid all my life to remove sticker residue, but I'd rather be safe than sorry with our Scamp.

This is the "D" shaped seal that Scamp provided just prior to the new "Rib Seal" on the right. Either one is better than the open cell foam seal they were using, but the latest Rib Seal looks especially promising. Tom
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

Michigan
You're more than welcome Michael. We'll be in site 026. We are going to be there from the 8th to the 22nd of Feb. (2 weeks). Order a new seal, and I'll be happy to help you as well. I've never been in a 19. I'd like to check that out while we're at it.

Tom
Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #12

Michigan
Darral, I'm told they are installing their new proprietary rib seals on new trailers now. It has to be a BIG improvement. Thanks for the encouraging words!

Tom
Old 12-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Just FYI -
The Scamp16L6 that Art picked up just the week before Christmas had the gray open-cell
foam seal on the door. 😢

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Just FYI -
The Scamp16L6 that Art picked up just the week before Christmas had the gray open-cell
foam seal on the door. 😢

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Hi Ray, Art's must have been built before the new seals came in, I'm sure a phone call would take care of that. I've really had good luck with Scamp on warranty issues.

Tom
Old 03-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Tom,
I'm just about to tackle putting my new seal in. Did any of the products you tried work better than the others?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Tom,
I'm just about to tackle putting my new seal in. Did any of the products you tried work better than the others?
Use Brakleen on a rag, don't let it soak very long, then clean again with Isopropyl Alcohol.
The original gasket is attached with what is ostensibly double faced scotch tape. peel as much of that as possible before cleaning the surface.
Goo Gone might work well on the tape itself but it is likely to leave a mess which the Brakleen will make short work of.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Thanks Floyd,
Got the old seal and tape off, letting it sit overnight since no rain forecast, then another wipe and dry with the alcohol before putting it on tomorrow.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #18

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
I used rubbing alcohol to remove foam tape adhesive, leaves no residue to affect new adhesive.
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:31 AM   #19

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
MEK is available at Home Depot and will remove about anything. It is a commercial paint prep liquid.

Tags
scamp