Scamp doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 19
California
Red face Scamp doors

#1 What is the best door gasket? #2 How do you adjust the door to stay close on left turns? #3 Is there a better door lock?
Rob in Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
  1. Scamp store sells a door seal kit, fairly inexpensive. It is a soft foam much like what you would put around a window air conditioner. 1/2 x 1/2 for the sides/top and 1/2 x 3/4 for the bottom with adhesive backing. Bottom gap seems to be wider than top and sides.
  2. The door hinge or hinge pins (both available from scamp) can wear out and allow door to sag or be sloppy enough to not get a good latch.
  3. The door latch is actually pretty decent, with door adjusted correctly it should latch solidly. If worn badly it too is available from scamp store as an inner mechanism and outer handle. Don't know about the strike plate.
Things you might look at or try.

The hinges are adjustable at least a little bit, best as a two person job. You can loosen the hinge bolts and move the hinges a little in a direction that helps your strike plate and door line up better.

The metal strike plate may be worn or have worn out the screw holes so it has shifted away from the latch. Worn holes can be filled with epoxy then re-drilled after it hardens, possible option to get strike plate a little closer to the door latch.

Really no reason a properly working stock door should fly open. Something is not right if that is happening.

Are you traveling with the door locked or not? I suppose if unlocked the handle could be bounced to an unlatched postion.

I just noticed your in a scamp 19 I'm assuming (bad RogerDat) that the set up is the same as a 13 or 16 ft. scamp.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Door opening - I know with our 2010 Scamp you had to close the door and then push gently near the lock and you would hear it click - then you would know it wouldn't fly open!. I think I learnt this on the Scamp yahoo group.
This doesn't work with our 1999 though.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I replaced my rubber with "T-1 & T-2" from Space Age Auto Paint Supply in Mesa Arizona. It is an automotive style rubber seal, that fits over the fiberglass opening and door. They sell it by the foot, and ship it to you. I had also replaced our door latch with one that I had read about on this site. It looks like most RV's door lock/latch mechanisms (flat paddle style handle that sits flush with the door). I did put fiberglass resin in the new door handle opening to seal out any moisture from entering into the door (which would cause swelling/warping & rot ) prior to placing the handle.
I have no leaks, and a door that doesn't open going down the road. I also replaced the hinge hardware from the Scamp Store prior to doing the above.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I had also replaced our door latch with one that I had read about on this site. It looks like most RV's door lock/latch mechanisms (flat paddle style handle that sits flush with the door). I did put fiberglass resin in the new door handle opening to seal out any moisture from entering into the door (which would cause swelling/warping & rot ) prior to placing the handle.
David, do you have any pictures, etc. documenting this door lock change?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Handle replaced

No pictures unfortunately. I am not savvy with computers to post pictures.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
um....don't turn left.

Tags
scamp