Scamp front cushions - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #29

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
Hello. I have a question related to cushions although I am not at that stage yet. I am at the overthinking stage. The front bunks ? The cushions will be the last hopefully late spring and will be the final item to make the trailer useable in a very basic sparton way. I want to go to 4" foam in the front. this means that when the top bunk terminates in the down position on top of the seat bottom (lower bunk ) the width of the top bunk will be drastically reduced. Has anybody ever tried to tuck the top bunk behind the bottom cushion. That way I would get full width ? Banana would fill in when both are in use. Maybe even have to use two bananas. Any pros or cons ? thanks in advance

Old 12-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Charlie, all the cushions in a Scamp are 4" from the factory, except the top bunk/sofa back rest, which uses 3" foam on top of a plywood base. The top bunk is designed to fold down behind the seat cushion in sofa mode. If you increase the foam thickness to 4" on the top bunk, you will have to decrease the depth of the seat cushion by 1" (and increase the depth of the banana correspondingly). Since the seat is already narrow for comfortable daytime napping in sofa mode (or nighttime sleeping without setting up the bunk), I would be inclined to stick with 3" foam on the top bunk. It's only for kids anyway, and their young bodies don't need the padding my aging, creaky bones do.

There is an earlier discussion here: Will 4" foam (instead of 3") work on Scamp top bunk?. There wasn't a clear resolution or any follow-up from the original poster, so I don't know how it worked out in the end.

EDIT- just noticed you have a Casita, not a Scamp… So my information may or may not help.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #31

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
Jon, thank you very much. I actually have a casita with no foam no plywood. Had spent an inordinate amount of time and quasi experimenting with trying to make the top bunk out of one piece and finally gave up for the year. I recently saw a post that shows the top bunk plywood out of three pieces which will make the project move along faster. I understand how it is done now. The foam thickness makes sense to me. What added to the confusion was that I contacted two upholsterers and both of them told me the top bunk cushion should terminate in the lowered position on top of the bottom cushion ( I now realize they had no experience with egg bunks ) so I was trying to figure out how to make that work. 4" for the seat bottom and 3" for the seat back tucked behind the seat. Seems so simple now. Thanks again and Merry Christmas. I have my present ! Info !
Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #32

Arizona
Registry
Scamp front cushions

You're welcome, Charlie. Yes, using three pieces (one large piece with two small "wings") is the key, as it allows the seat back to conform to the curvature of the front shell when lowered. As I said earlier, it's really a well-thought-out design. The only real weak point is the glassed-in ledge under the window that supports the front of the bunk. Over time, leaks in the front window can cause the wood inside to deteriorate. Have you made sure yours is sound? (I'm assuming here that Casita does the same as Scamp...)

You might do a search or post a request for templates for the plywood and cushions, here and on the Casita forum. It could save some time.

BTW- have you considered looking into ordering cushion covers from Casita, or maybe even Scamp? I know Scamp's are very reasonable compared to custom work, and shipping shouldn't be too high if you just get covers and purchase foam locally. Of course, you may have a special fabric choice in mind, and if so, go for it! But if cost and functionality are your main considerations, it's worth checking out.

Best wishes with your bunk restoration project, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Old 12-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #33

Arizona
Registry
Scamp front cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Once you have taken the cover off & tried to put it back on the banana you will discover why I suggest that people seriously consider *not* removing the plastic

Carol, I will yield to your experience. Thanks for the warning. Merry Christmas- sounds like y'all in the NW & BC may get a white one!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #34

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Registry
Top Bunk Installation

Anybody have a picture of how the top bunk is supposed to be attached to the trailer? I've looked all over and can't find pics or instructions.

The bunk has never been installed because the lady I bought it from never used it, but now I'd like to use it for extra space...

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #35

Arizona
Registry
There should be a ledge under the front window. The upper bunk rests on the ledge and is attached from the bottom using two offset hinges.

Upper bunk in raised position (from below looking toward front of trailer):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Ledge.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	111298

Hinge attachment detail, looking up (ledge at bottom of photo):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge Detail.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	111299
Old 09-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #36

Texas
Registry
Bingo!! That's what we needed to see! Thanks so much!!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #37

Texas
Registry
Oh! Are there pre-drilled holes by chance?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #38

Arizona
Registry
No idea, as mine arrived already attached. I don't think the exact location of the hinges is critical, but if you're interested I could take measurements for you.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #39

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
No idea, as mine arrived already attached. I don't think the exact location of the hinges is critical, but if you're interested I could take measurements for you.
I really appreciate that but, after much thought ~ and seeing that once the top bunk is in ~ it's there for good ~ we've decided to leave it out.

My husband is going to craft a wooden shelf to extend from the right of the stove to the front wall, to give us some extra counter space. It will be the same depth as the stove/sink area. The ledge and the hardware will work for that, and I would much rather have extra counter space than a bunk I'd have to sleep under forever...

Thank you to everyone who responded to this. I guess I just wasn't aware it would be a permanent fixture ~ I thought I could use it for extra bag space when necessary, and take it out when it wasn't needed.

(Anybody in the market for a never-slept-on bunk? )
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #40

Arizona
Registry
Quite a few people have done what you are thinking. I sleep on the bottom bunk, and I hear you about the headroom. For now it's necessary because one of the kids sleeps on top. I do like the top bunk as a backrest when folded- it's nicely angled and supportive. For that reason I'll probably keep it even when it's just two of us.

Keeping the bunk would also be good for eventual resale. Storing it is the problem. Under a bed or couch at home, maybe? Wrapped in plastic and stored in a basement, attic, or shed?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #41

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Quite a few people have done what you are thinking. I sleep on the bottom bunk, and I hear you about the headroom. For now it's necessary because one of the kids sleeps on top. I do like the top bunk as a backrest when folded- it's nicely angled and supportive. For that reason I'll probably keep it even when it's just two of us.

Keeping the bunk would also be good for eventual resale. Storing it is the problem. Under a bed or couch at home, maybe? Wrapped in plastic and stored in a basement, attic, or shed?
I agree; I was kidding about selling it. It will be a hassle to rewrap, but I'll face it down one of these days!
Old 09-12-2017, 06:14 AM   #42

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Dick; Would love to see pic of how you cushion project turns out. I'll be starting mine this winter. I assume you are using the Scamp pattern. Lessons learned from you would be appreciated.

Tags
scamp