Scamp on Gravel Roads - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well, i love backroads so will travel them a lot. but first,,,,will put some hellish mudflaps on the tow to keep the larger rocks knocked down.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Even though I haven't bought my Scamp yet I have purchased some material so I can design a bra for the front of it. I got it from a buddy of mine who used to own an upholstery shop ages ago. He says its the same stuff that the automotive bra's are made of, so it is breathable and won't hurt the gel coat if it gets wet. Maybe you can do something similar if you don't want to go the bedliner route.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
Even though I haven't bought my Scamp yet I have purchased some material so I can design a bra for the front of it. I got it from a buddy of mine who used to own an upholstery shop ages ago. He says its the same stuff that the automotive bra's are made of, so it is breathable and won't hurt the gel coat if it gets wet. Maybe you can do something similar if you don't want to go the bedliner route.
hmmmm so many ways that i won't touch this.......
Old 03-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
I owned a 95 Scamp with the wood interior. Summer of 2010 went to SE Oregon on a Sunstone hunting trip. After Plush, Or no more pavement the gravel road was pretty good in Lake County we crossed the line into Harney County it was ungraded very rough for 25 miles. On our return to Plush I stopped to look inside the trailer. The closet door was on the floor and the cabinet door for the microwave was on the floor and the steel microwave door was half off just hanging. Found all the screws put everything back, and had no more things happen. It is a pretty tuff trailer.
Chuck
Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #19

Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
hmmmm so many ways that i won't touch this.......
And I sooooo tried to keep it clean too... D'oh
Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
John, if you have a screendoor I would recomend putting flat washers under the head of the screws that attach the plywood to the metal tube next the the couch.
Most of my camping is on FS unimproved roads. I guarantee the screws willl pull through the plywood.
John
Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #21

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
I'm a little late posting to this thread,but what I did was to weld a length of angle iron to the hitch and add,as John W said,mud flaps to keep crud from coming up off the road.And when I'm not towing,the mud flaps come off with the hitch.Plus maybe find some cool Montana Big Sky Country flaps?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #22

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1887 View Post
Do any of you take your Scamp trailer on gravel roads and forest service roads? If so how does it handle? I live in Idaho and about 80% of the places I camp is down gravel/ forest service roads, nothing real rough just typical washboard forest service road.I plan to just take it pretty slow when traveling down these roads. Just want to make sure the Scamp won't fall apart on me.
For me, the biggest issue on gravel/dirt roads is dust. Yes, stuff bounces like crazy, but that can be planned for and I hate having dust get into everything. It is especially bad in Boler/Scamp type doors which rarely seal well at the bottom. So, if your door seal is not perfect, it is worth putting in something to help seal it while driving, like maybe those foam pool noodles cut in half, or something. I once had a damp dishtowel sucked right out of the trailer (and lost) when I used it to block the gap at the bottom door edge. That was what finally prompted me to do a major repair on the Boler door fit.

Rick G.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Dust and vibration can be controlled by slowing down. I sometimes drag the Scamp on gravel roads.
I have a set of these that reduces the rock damage to the front of the trailer. Most of the time I drive slow enough to NOT create a dust cloud behind me.
We survived a dust storm at the Texas/NM border a few weeks ago. Lots of dust inside, but it cleans out pretty easily.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Byron,

It seems one is always finding that road dust... it almost sticks to hidden places.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Byron,

It seems one is always finding that road dust... it almost sticks to hidden places.
True, But it's really not something to obsess about.

Are you heading into the Willamette Valley soon? Let me know, maybe we can get together for visit.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Byron,

We're in Port Orford today slowly heading up the coast. We plan to be back this way again for the July rally as well. Where are you in Oregon?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #27

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Byron,

We're in Port Orford today slowly heading up the coast. We plan to be back this way again for the July rally as well. Where are you in Oregon?

Salem

Tags
scamp