Scamp Rewire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Smile Scamp Rewire

I completed total rewire of my 1980 Scamp today. I knew little about electrical, so it was a lesson in self-study/self-help. I replaced taillights and marker lights, tore out all old wiring (see before photos-whatta mess!) and ran a new 7-wire cable from the new front terminal block to the rear. I added a new fuse panel (12 connections...a bit overkill).

I plugged in to my TV and the only had one problem. The left directional stayed on with the TV plugged in, worked OK on TV when I disconnected, so I figure I have a short in that taillight.

Only the results (new lights) will show for my two months of work, but the satisfaction is awesome? I diagramed everything for reference/troubleshooting.
(See next entry for new wiring)
Attached Thumbnails
Oldwiringfront.JPG   oldwiringrear3.JPG  

oldwiringrear2.JPG  
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence W View Post
I completed total rewire of my 1980 Scamp today. I knew little about electrical, so it was a lesson in self-study/self-help. I replaced taillights and marker lights, tore out all old wiring (see before photos-whatta mess!) and ran a new 7-wire cable from the new front terminal block to the rear. I added a new fuse panel (12 connections...a bit overkill).

I plugged in to my TV and the only had one problem. The left directional stayed on with the TV plugged in, worked OK on TV when I disconnected, so I figure I have a short in that taillight.

Only the results (new lights) will show for my two months of work, but the satisfaction is awesome? I diagramed everything for reference/troubleshooting.
(See next entry for new wiring)
New wiring photos
Attached Thumbnails
TailLt.JPG   FrontTermBox.JPG  

RearConvTermBoxFusePanel.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Congratulations on getting the wireing done. I'm in the process of doing a complete re-wire of my scamp and should be done in month. I know the feeling of doing all this work and no one can see it. The new tail lights look nice. Any more changes/ modifications in the works?
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Congratulations on getting the wireing done. I'm in the process of doing a complete re-wire of my scamp and should be done in month. I know the feeling of doing all this work and no one can see it. The new tail lights look nice. Any more changes/ modifications in the works?
I plan to replace the door in the Spring. Were you at the Waterloo gathering in October? Do you attend any other gatherings? I'd like to see your Scamp sometime. As you probably know, I live in Albany. Good luck with your re-wire.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0764.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
No to the Waterloo gathering, I have not had the trailer out since I bought it over 2 years ago. It's a full restore, the only thing that was waved was the fiberglass sheel, frame, windows and vent. I'm hopeing to get it completely done my March so I can use it. I live in Hillsboro and plan on attending some of the Oregon events when it's done. I just want to wait until it's closer to being finished until I commit to anything. It seems that everything is taking twice as long as I estimate with this re-build!
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #6

Registry
Sometime I wish I had gutted mine, all this retrofitting in tight spaces has been tough...I don't know why we refurbish, it just kind of presents the kind of challenge I need in retirement. I replumbing this Spring, rewiring this winter. I modified the front end to add a two-person dinette, 'cause we got tired of making the bed.

Today I'm routing the 7-wire cable from the front to the rear terminal board. I left it out until I checked out the lights. I first tried to pull it through the wall under the bathroom, but it just wouldn't pull. So, I'm routing it underneath the kick-board next to the toilet water line.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Because the running lights have nothing to do with either the 12VDC or 120VAC inside the camper I ran the running light wiring under the camper, inside PVC water pipe.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp