Scamp Sliding Window Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp Sliding Window Leak

Okay, I am desperate for help. I have two windows in my 5th wheel Scamp that are leaking but I can't figure out how to fix. One is the back window and other is the side window in the loft.

Water is getting into the inside track. So when the outside plexiglass window is closed the inside track (where the screen slides) fills with water and spills out or leaks through the screws.

I have cleaned all the weep holes both from the outside and inside of the track. I have also clean the actual tracks (they were quite gunky). But water is still accumulating in the inside track and tripped out. When I run a hose over the window I can see water coming out of the weep holes while I am running water and for a period time after but I am still getting water in the inside track.

Any ideas of other items I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I always get water on the inside track, either from condensation in the winter or rain leaking around the glass. But, the way the window is made, it will allow water to get into the track and then leak out thru the weep vents. The only time I had water leak around the window and not in the track was via a screw when I installed a Maxx Air Vent. Here the water was leaking behind the gasket around the interior. I removed the screw and sealed the hole, no leaks. You may need to remove the interior trim to determine exactly where the water is intruding. Have someone outside holding the window so that it does not fall out. Good luck...
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Okay, I removed ~5 screws from the bottom of the inside trim. The very first one I remove water ran out of it. I removed the next 3 or 4 and each of the screws were wet. The next two were dry. I then put all but two screws back in (1 dry and 1 wet screws were left out). I then blew into the dry hole and water shot out of the wet screw hole. It was like a geyser . Finally got most of the water blown out. So I guess the next step would be to remove all the screws and take the trim off and see if I can't figure out how the water is getting in. Of course tonight we are having some wicked storms. I put plastic down to contain any water that may come in and moved the cushions etc out of the way.

I may be fixing the window while at the campground over the 4th. Nothing like having a project to keep everyone in the campground entertained. Last year it was the filler tube that needed repaired. So I ripped the bench out while in the campground. This is become a bad habit.
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Shook View Post
Okay, I removed ~5 screws from the bottom of the inside trim. The very first one I remove water ran out of it. I removed the next 3 or 4 and each of the screws were wet. The next two were dry. I then put all but two screws back in (1 dry and 1 wet screws were left out). I then blew into the dry hole and water shot out of the wet screw hole. It was like a geyser . Finally got most of the water blown out. So I guess the next step would be to remove all the screws and take the trim off and see if I can't figure out how the water is getting in. Of course tonight we are having some wicked storms. I put plastic down to contain any water that may come in and moved the cushions etc out of the way.

I may be fixing the window while at the campground over the 4th. Nothing like having a project to keep everyone in the campground entertained. Last year it was the filler tube that needed repaired. So I ripped the bench out while in the campground. This is become a bad habit.
Depending on the age of the trailer, you may only need to remove the window entirely, put new buytl tape around the outside and reinstall, that should take care of the leak.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Depending on the age of the trailer, you may only need to remove the window entirely, put new buytl tape around the outside and reinstall, that should take care of the leak.
Jim

That is what I did and now I have no window leaks. Dry as a bone...Well worth the effort. The down side was my 85 Scamp was neglected for years so the floors were bad around the perimeter of the inside. I've got those all replaced and moving on.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp