Scamp VIN numbers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have recently purchased an older unlisenced pre 1980 Scamp trailer. It has had numerous renovations, including tongue modifications. Does anyone know where the VIN numbers were imbedded in these older Scamps? Thanks.
SharonHubbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tongue, up near the coupler on the door side....and on the title. I don't know of any inside the trailer as with other brands, but I could be mistaken and that wouldn't be the first time....

On edit: once you find the VIN, go here to decode:
Scamp VIN Decoder
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
We have recently purchased an older unlisenced pre 1980 Scamp trailer. It has had numerous renovations, including tongue modifications. Does anyone know where the VIN numbers were imbedded in these older Scamps? Thanks.
Hmmmm --on my 83 model, it is stamped lightly on the tongue on the right tube. (ditch or doorside) I don't know if it is any other place. Ya might try the Scamp factory and see what they say..... Hope this helps. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #4

Thanks for your help. The tongue has been replaced and there appear to be no VIN numbers. We will pursue another approach to get this little gem titled.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Get a set of metal stamps and generate your own numbers.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Get a set of metal stamps and generate your own numbers.
Yeah, Pete is right...other members have had to do the same thing . If you have a photocopy of the title with the numbers, or maybe a bill of sale .....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
My 1990 Scamp had had a new hitch welded on when I bought it and the weld had obliterated the VIN. In Wyoming, I had to apply to the state for a new VIN. Once the number was assigned to me, I stamped it into the tongue in front of the propane bottles using a punch set borrowed from a welding shop. Once the new VIN was in place, a trip to the police department for an inspection and then on to the county clerk for the rest of the licensing procedure was all that was required.

My first contact with the county clerk's office didn't provide me with the solution, but some internet work, a state policeman and then a contact in the main state office set me off on the right path. I suspect most other states have a similar solution.

John C.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I called Scamp on this topic just last week.
The only place the VIN was stamped by Scamp was up on the right side of the frame as others have mentioned.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #9

Quote:
My 1990 Scamp had had a new hitch welded on when I bought it and the weld had obliterated the VIN. In Wyoming, I had to apply to the state for a new VIN. Once the number was assigned to me, I stamped it into the tongue in front of the propane bottles using a punch set borrowed from a welding shop. Once the new VIN was in place, a trip to the police department for an inspection and then on to the county clerk for the rest of the licensing procedure was all that was required.

My first contact with the county clerk's office didn't provide me with the solution, but some internet work, a state policeman and then a contact in the main state office set me off on the right path. I suspect most other states have a similar solution.

John C.
As it turns out, John, Montana is similar to Wyoming in its procedure for getting a new title. It was a very simple process with no unexpected complications. Tom engraved the new Vin number into the tongue. We passed inspection, need to make one last trip to the county clerk for plates and are ready to go. Thanks for the information.

Tags
license, registration, scamp, title, vin