Scamp wheels - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Russ if you don't mind me asking what did the switch over cost, and did you do the work yourself? I think a post of yours was the one I was thinking of in an earlier post I made. Did you post a picture of Jeep and Scamp hooked up?

Jeep - shaped like a brick. That was why I could never convince my wife to purchase one, too "blocky" she said. Tried for three different auto purchases, almost made it with a Liberty almost. Sigh. A Pontiac something or other, Accord, and Escape. The things we do for love.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #16

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Roger,
I don't remember the costs.
The axle was purchased from a Flexiride approved fabricator from Texas. They placed the brackets exactly to my drawing and can make any custom length. I am guessing it was around $500.00. I can't remember if it came with the brakes or whether I got them from Etrailer.com.
The wheels are cast aluminum and came from Etrailer. Their website is nice with good info and prices. The Kumho tires came from Tire rack.
I have Fab and welding skills and a well equipped home shop, so did the work as a fun project. It is always satisfying improving something you use. It was fun learning about solar and putting together a system for the Scamp too.
I think I did post a picture after doing the lift.
People probably worry a little too much about stability with these little trailers. When loaded properly they tow beautifully and rock steady. A 2" lift is a non factor. They have to be good if a Wrangler can tow one!

Old 08-16-2014, 02:49 AM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Load balanced right and riding level they do tow nice, real nice. I really considered going to larger tires, mostly for back country camping and cooler running at highway speeds. Did a bunch of checking and figuring and in the end decided to go with totally stock. At times I wish I had gone with 5 bolt hubs (4 bolt brake hubs are not an in-stock part) Maybe in a decade or two when the new axle wears out someone else will do it different.

All I have to say is if I had gone through a blizzard towing the trailer I would probably be a widower. DW would have had kittens right before she had a heart attack.

Paying for the work of measuring for the axle and welding, along with a little fabrication would run a pretty penny if hired done by a shop, but hey what's the point of knowing how and having a shop if you don't use it?

Glad someone that had done it was able to provide details to the OP.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Jeep - shaped like a brick. That was why I could never convince my wife to purchase one, too "blocky" she said. Tried for three different auto purchases, almost made it with a Liberty almost. Sigh. A Pontiac something or other, Accord, and Escape. The things we do for love.
Yeah the Wrangler isn't the most appealing grocery getter to the womenfolk! I know a few ladies that enjoy wheeling their jeeps off-road though. My Jeep did double duty as a daily driver for a couple of years, and I have to say that I don't miss driving it on a daily basis now that I have a "practical car" to tool around in. Off road they are truly amazing once set up for that use. They can go some crazy places! Mine is now strictly a toy. It tows the Scamp and plays in the dirt.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:58 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Russ I have to agree with you as to lifting the trailer. I added the 3" lift from Perfect Casita. My axle is fine but I wanted more clearance for the rear. I haven't noticed any difference with handling or mph since I made the change. Who knows, it may be that my SD17 is heavy.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I did it on my 19'. I went from 185/80/13 to 225/75/15.

I installed a new axle that was supposedly the stock one (except not worn out), and added a 3" high frame rail under the factory one to mount the axle bracket to.

I still had to cut some of the body to clear the tire, but I figured that going into it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408196110.850024.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	74913

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408196161.317558.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	74914

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #21

California
Jared,
My wheel openings didn't require trimming with the shorter axle and 14" wheels, but the openings aren't centered to the axle and they were roughly trimmed at the factory. I planned to center them up and smooth them to a fair curve but never got around to ordering more trim welting from Scamp. Some day....
Russ
Old 08-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Additional load carrying ability and more air volume for cushion. More diameter for axle clearance and overcoming obstacles. Better looking.
Better floatation in soft soil. Match up with taller vehicle. There's some whys.
Russ
On a 13 scamp, a "C" rated tire has a load capacity well beyond that of the axle, let alone the space available.
Less than 1" extra height is hardly significant, and as for better looking?
I'd bet that eight out of ten people could not tell the difference without reading the label.

All that said, minor changes do add up.
A satisfied owner takes better care of his trailer.
Better care and satisfaction makes for a happy camper!
Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #23

California
My cars over the years got wider tires for performance reasons. I liked the look also. Trailers don't usually don't benefit from the additional cornering forces that wider tires provide, so just additional load carrying ability and appearance come into play. Wider tires look better to me because they just appear "right" to my highly refined sense of taste that was developed by many years of tasting things.
Russ

Tags
scamp