Screen Walls on Awnings? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Hi, I was wondering if any one has placed sreen walls on a bag awning? If they were available or if someone made them. I was thinking of an awning similar to the one Greg A posted on his mod of 4-4-09
Also just wanted to thank everybody for such great info, it sure has helped and saved me a lot of time THANKS
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Personally no, in Oregon we generally don't need them because slugs don't fly

But, I have thought about it. And, although the awning on my Scamp is longer than yours since it's for a 16 footer, I'd prefer a screen HOUSE. Even when cranked to it's full size, the space under my awing is pretty small. I'd prefer one that I could setup anywhere... Like over the picnic table to keep the bugs away while eating.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	2264__640x427_.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	26995

It's not quite done yet, but I should have it finished for this years camping. It's an 8X10 Awning from a larger trailer. I have made a frame to go across the front edge and three riafter poles. The screen was on sale last year at Canadian Tire and was made for a big 10X12 screen room. Right now I am adding grommets to the screen and shower curtain rings to hang it with. If that works out OK I might velcro the edge. If it doesn't work out we still love the larger size awning by itself.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use a screen house, EasyUp or FirstUp, I can't remember what the name is. It is the one Walmart sells.
We just got back from our yearly week-long trip to SD with the 16' UHaul, where we can't use the screen house. Boy, do we miss it when we can't use it. It adds so much living space. We spend most of our time outside in it, when we have it. It works great to deter the bugs too, even though it does not sit totally flush against the UHaul.

If you add screen walls, you will appreciate it.

CindyL
Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
We use a screen house, EasyUp or FirstUp, I can't remember what the name is. It is the one Walmart sells.
We just got back from our yearly week-long trip to SD with the 16' UHaul, where we can't use the screen house. Boy, do we miss it when we can't use it. It adds so much living space. We spend most of our time outside in it, when we have it. It works great to deter the bugs too, even though it does not sit totally flush against the UHaul.

If you add screen walls, you will appreciate it.

CindyL
thanks for the info, I figure that james awning was a bag type and that would close the gap on top but what about the one by the ground? I am interested in this because we plan a trip to Minn in Aug. lots of black flies I am told also since this includes a float trip, other flying critters should be a problem. Well I let folks know what I do and try and post it thanks suger mcallen
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: sugarmc...We have a custom screen room as well as a dining shelter. Both of these were made before easy ups so we only use them if staying in one place a while. Our awning is a Carefree of Colorado so the screenroom slides into the awning tube. Because the trailer was ordered with this option the trailer has dome snaps in the body to hold the screen panels. Along the bottom under the door there is a long vinyl panel that also domes onto the trailer.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. We were at a trailer meet and had so many visitors we left it open any way!!!
Attached Thumbnails
screen_rm..jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
We use a combination of a screen room and a product called Thermacell. You can buy the gadget at Walmart in the camping section. You use a butane cartridge and it self-ignites and releases a chemical on a little pad. It is refillable, puts out almost no smoke, and works great. I have allergies and this doesn't bother me like some of the mosquito coils and other products do. I bought one for my mother-in-law, and she loves it, too.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote