sealant for snap caps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Question sealant for snap caps

Recommendations for sealant over rivets when replacing snapcaps? I searched this site, but couldn't locate information. I know now not to use silicone. Looking forward to your expert advice. Thanks.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Some have used a small piece of Butyl tape.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Recommendations for sealant over rivets when replacing snapcaps? I searched this site, but couldn't locate information. I know now not to use silicone. Looking forward to your expert advice. Thanks.
Some silicone formulas work great others not so well. The main objection to silicone comes from the desire to remove and replace the sealant. If it works as it should removal shouldn't be necessary.
I recommend that Sila Seal brand. It's what Scamp factory sells and uses. I used it recently when I broke the fresh water inlet and had to replace it.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
butyl tape worms

We replaced almost all of the snap caps on our Scamp and each one was sealed with a very small amount of butyl, like a pinch, rolled into a small worm-like shape and wrapped around the fastener. The excess squeezed out from the edges as well as filled the interior of the hole. Worked great.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you are talking the snap cap itself the answer is nothing, just snap it on the washer and it is sealed, nothing needed inside the washer either.
If you are replacing rivets and washers you may choose to dip the tip of the rivet in silicone before inserting it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I am a firm believer in Dicor lap seal and use it everywhere. On my bigger 5th Wheel I have standing water around the bathroom vent over the winter. 2 years ago I scraped as much of the old, who knows what, seallent off and put just one coat of this Dicor Lap Seal all around and it hasn't leaked since. When I put snap caps on my Boler when I replace and had to reposition the awning all old rivet holes were re-riveted with short rivets and caps I put just a dab, put on with a paint brush into cap and put cap on. No problem all summer.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
When you get there

Once you remove the cap no wonder what you will find. Sometimes the retainer cap will be gone the you will have to get the rivet out and put a s/s screw in there and a small washer and screw the simpliest and I think the best way.

I put a dab inside the cup just enough to almost fill it when you put it on it will ooze out a tad.

Good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Several years ago I found some missing caps and discovered that the washer portion of the snap cap had become unusable because of sun rot. Rather than replace the whole rivet, I cut away the rest of the plastic washer and cleaned the area with Acetone. I then took some gel type super glue and applied it carefully around the perimeter of the cap and pressed it directly to the surface covering the rivet. I have probably replaced five or six and to date none have come off nor leaked.
Don
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote