Sellers misrepresenting trailers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #15

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
We drove 8 hours round trip two weeks ago to look at one that "just needed a few finishing touches on the remodel".....it needed a whole new trailer as far as I was concerned.... I have to agree with Frederick though....other people's idea of exellent condition and my idea of the same are often two very different creatures!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Sounds like my grandparents old Shasta. They bought it for a big trip but after that it sat in their back yard for years as a "guesthouse". Whenever we came to visit we got to stay in the camper. This was all good and fun until the skeezier side of the family came to visit and totally trashed it; don't even want to get into the details. Of course the Grandparents could then have sold it as having only been on one trip LOL!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #17

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
My recent experience car shopping taught me, amongst other things, that the word "Mint" has been redefined. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what it means anymore.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
When I hear Mint, I think of lamb, candy, toothpaste and mouthwash. The latter 3 mask the 1st.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Kootenaigirl, that wasnt the one on the Island was it?

If you need actual of photos of something your thinking of buying in the future in the lower mainland area feel free to ask. Happy to send more realistic photos and let you determine how good or bad it is. Like you I have found what one person thinks is great or good isnt how I would described it after having actually seen it ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Beggars want to be choosers but become impatient with the prospect of no gratification. Problems are both condition of and the relative scarcity of the items we seek. We'd like to have fifteen glass campers to look at within 50mi. of home. We'd like to find 35 yr. old trailers which have been maintained and updated. We'd like to find 35 yr. old trailers which have been maintained and updated and the seller's had his fun and is willing to write off the new axle and tires for a quick sale. This sometimes happens; good for us!

But most of the time, the old girl's been neglected or nearly abandoned for a period of years. Scarcity floats all boats including these trash piles "listed" as functional trailers and many of us whistle past dead tires and tired torsion axles and the consequences of no winterization, leaks, water stains, UV deterioration, rusty frames, soft floors, and the fifty other minor things that you should be able to fix with something in a bubble pack costing $10 but sometimes can't.

As a collectivity, we do influence the range of items considered "marketable." It's called demand. One of the choices for us beggars is to choose not to buy. Some of us rush in and regret at leisure but some of us with shallow pockets are VERY demanding. Don't be afraid to say "You've got to be kidding!" in the context where it counts. About all your average trapdoor spider (er, hopefull seller) can do is ask you to leave.

jack
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #21

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
but some of us with shallow pockets are VERY demanding.
The same can be said for some with deep pockets, that may be how they got that way.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
There are many, many RV prepurchase inspection services out there- of course, you have to pay for the service.

Here's one example:Pre-purchase RV inspection service for motorhome and travel trailer RV buyers

I don't believe any of the existing outfits "specialize' in molded trailers...Could be a niche market there, folks!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
After spending some time in the auto sales industry (many years ago), I came to the conclusion that there are honest sellers and there are successful sellers - but there are no successful honest sellers.

Add to that the points noted above about what I find to be "excellent condition" and what YOU find to be "excellent" (or even "tolerable") condition are seldom the same.

I have always found that only time any of my stuff is actually clean (house/car/trailer) is when I am selling it. THEN it gets thoroughly detailed etc. Otherwise, while it will be mechanically serviced MUCH better than "normal" or "recommended" it may go years (literally) sans getting washed etc. If I list something for sale, you may be assured that (at that point in time) it is clean, spotless, professionally detailed inside & out, odor free and appearing to be 100% new and unused.

People will buy "clean", but have no concept of how to look for "mechanically sound".

People will spend 3 weeks looking for a new pair of jeans, but will buy a new car "because it is blue" or will buy a trailer because it is clean.

Otherwise - repeat after me (or write on the blackboard 100 times! )
"There is NO SUCH THING as a fully honest seller!"

After doing a LOT of research, it can be said that "it works too well" and "it is too nice" have never been legitimate reasons for selling something.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #24

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Carol - no it was one in Alberta. Yes, that is great if people are willing to have a look at something and take pics before a long drive (Thanks) and I would certainly do the same in my area for anyone.
Prepurchase inspection - I think the concern I have is that many people do not have a good idea of what to look at when it comes to the fiberglass trailers. We did actually have a friend who was driving close by to the trailer I looked at but after seeing it I do not think he would have picked up on most things and would have thought on the surface it looked okay! A service just for fiberglass would be great but my guess is our informal network is probably more realistic.
Jack - I think I was more frustrated because it was a 2008 trailer at a high price and I guess my expectations were a lot higher than if it was 25 years old at a lower price. My mistake obviously! On saying that I have seen several 'vintage' trailers that the owners idea of good condition and mine was very different too. One Trillium had a broken window, no spare tire or battery or propane tank, fridge didn't work, obvious evidence of leaks, fiberglass damage etc etc but was in "excellent' condition and they were offended when we suggested otherwise.
Dave - really enjoyed your comments, so true on many levels.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The seller of my Cantaloupe described it as having a "mint" interior. Maybe he meant that he left a candy in there. But, the price I paid for it was more in the manure range.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
We have been trying to sell a truck for quite some time. I used NADA to set the price and based on their guidance said "very good condition" in the ad. First there's the offshore buying for my brother, sister, mother, cousin etc., have my agent pick it up, pay full price to your pay pal account folks. Got to give them credit for creativity. Then there's the one who wants a new truck at a used truck price. They're always fun. Maggie handled the guy who said "why only very good, why not excellent?" The one that took a 45 minute test drive and then said he really wanted a Jeep was mine. People say they are coming and don't show. I really had nothing better to do on a sunny Sunday afternoon. We had several out of state car dealerships make sight unseen low ball offers. One was a kid who just graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Business; hired to scour the Craigs list for "deals". Tough way to pay off those student loans.

We like the truck. It tows well. So it's not the end of the world if we keep it for a while longer. Having been on the "drive several hundred miles only to walk away" side as well, I've decided it's just the way it is. That's probably why most people go to a dealer. Rarity combined with life being too short makes the egg hunt more difficult. Until you get one it's just hard. Hang in there. Raz
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
People say they are coming and don't show.
Those are my fav! Happens when you try and sell anything. Then people wonder why you will not hold a trailer without a deposit until they can get to see it next week.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #28

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Those are my fav! Happens when you try and sell anything. Then people wonder why you will not hold a trailer without a deposit until they can get to see it next week.
Deposit? Haha. We went to view a car at a dealer's lot. Our visit to the dealer was based on a listing in autotrader online. The car was listed for a price of $9999. When we arrived, the sales rep sat us down at his desk. He looked up the car on his computer and told us that the real price of the car was $9999 + a processing fee of $1000. Because this was a special weekend sale, he could wave the processing fee. Gee. How generous.

After this conversation, he disappeared to bring the car out for us. 15 minutes later, he came back. He couldn't find the car. Apparently it had "gone missing." He advised us that if we made a deposit today, he would wave the processing fee and we could look at the car on Monday. We told him we would take our chances.

On Monday we called the sales rep to ask if he found the car. He never called us back. A few days later the online listing for the vehicle disappeared. This was a large city dealership. My guess is that the vehicle already had an interested buyer and a final transaction was pending. Who knows for sure.

There are fraudsters who will list a vehicle that does not even exist. We came across one of these in our search as well. Apparently the car was located in another city, but if we made a deposit the seller would make the vehicle available for our viewing. Apparently this is a common fraud routine.

Unfortunately unnecessary deposits and fees are abused on both sides of the equation. If a car had been to our liking we would have been happy to make a deposit, but not before.

Derek